PDA

View Full Version : Need major help ASAP

Chiups
05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, today I re formmated my hdd and tried to reinstall a copy of XP coporate that I downloaded. The installation seems to go perfectly and I get into windows just fine. Then when I restarted my computer to install all my drivers, it doesnt let me. At the post screen it says: DISK BOOT FALIURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. This only happens when I try to boot from my hard drive. But when I boot from the install disk, it logs me into windows just fine. I tried to reformat the drive again and start over, but the same thing keep happening. Also, I accidentally installed windows on the hard drive that I backed up most of my info on, would this cause some conflict when trying to boot windows on my other hdd?

A friend of mine was telling me that SATA drives need to be made bootable with software, I have no clue if this is true or not. But I really need to get this problem solved ASAP. Help!

DSG
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
If this is a SATA hd you may need a floppy with the drivers on it (if XP doesnt have them). They usually include such a floppy with your motherboard. At some point you can hit a certain key to load '3rd party SATA/SCSI drivers' (it may prompt you).

However, I really think this has to do with the fact you installed windows to the other hd, i am willing to bet the boot sector is mucked up or something along those lines. Next step would be to remove (or format) the other hard drive and see what happens. Simplest way of doing this is to just unplug the molex power cable on the 30gb. If this doesn't resolve it, try formatting and reinstalling xp with just the one hard drive powered up.

Chiups
05-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks DSG. I have tried removing the other hdd but the problem still occurs, im gonna try yo reformat and reinstall xp with only one hard drive and see if that works.

Update: Ok after a lot of searching, and reading on the interwebs, I read that changing the CMOS battery would fix this problem so thats just what I did. I went to Wal-mart bought a new battery, replaced the old one, reformatted/reinstalled. And BAM!! Problem solved....for now at least.

Indefinite
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
You might link to those?

Chiups
05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=86&threadID=173269&tag=rbxccnbd1
There is where I found some info on it.

Loser777
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I had that problem with XP too, it would dump my boot files onto my first IDE drive and install windows on the SATA drive that I selected. Problem was, my SATA was first boot priority so Windows gave me that error. I did a clean install with only the SATA drive plugged in and that fixed the problem.