PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Trojans

HelplessNewbie
06-16-2004, 07:48 AM
I decided to post this after my computer slowed down a lot after hacking, and after reading some posts around here :D

First of all, always scan your downloads. I use McAfee VS 8, and then Ad-Aware and then Spybot Search/Destroy. Webroot's SpySweeper also helps, but usually Adaware/Spybot can take out everything. Naturally, it won't stop everything though. Things to watch out for are windows poping up at startup, slowing computer performance especially when entering text or switching windows, etc.

To solve pop-up windows, check the startup section of your computer, which you can do with something like CodeStuff Starter. Other things you can usually delete manually, if you're smart enough. For example, if you see something like

C:\WINDOWS\system32\[email protected]@@k.DLL

then you should delete it... in this case, it's a dormant keylogger. Some people are very stupid and name their loggers things like "keylogger" and "password stealer" so those should be no-brainers. And keep in mind that when you use a hack, you are putting yourself in the hands of people who make HACKS! Not that you shouldn't trust them, but always be careful when messing around.

Other than that, I have nothing much else to say except that you shouldn't get stuff that is unknown (i.e. that korean maphack...) and that when in doubt, just ask the community :)

Miss
06-16-2004, 09:01 AM
McAfee and Norton tis expensive and they say the "best" but not. It does not pick up alot of others, and Norton Firewall won't let you do anything. Very unreliable. I would go AVG or Trojan Hunter.

~Miss

bulk_4me
06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Common sense? There are two types of Trojans, generic Trojan and Custom Trojans..

The generic can be spoted with any AV software. The Custom ones are usually made by PSC script kiddies, and they're so buggy and crappy coded that chances are they will die by themselves.. My suggestion is check you damn Run registry key and use a firewall, my personal pick Sygate.

Miss
06-16-2004, 09:43 AM
MSConfig.

~Miss

bulk_4me
06-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Ha ha ha, I kinda like the "danger" of messing with the registry..

DSG
06-16-2004, 10:33 AM
First of all you shoudn't be using McAfee or Norton. They both are horrible . Ironically, they are the 2 most popular anti-virus apps. I reccomend Trend Micro Pc-Cillin/Internet Security. You should have an Anti-Trojan if you run alot of privatly made programs/trainers. A software or hardware firewall is also reccomended but optional. These days, if you are connected to the internet you absolutley need anti-spyware apps. You should have the latest version of SpybotS&D, Ad-Aware, and SpywareBlaster installed on your machine at all times(and dont forget to keep the patterns updated). If you are using IE(Internet Explorer) you should have an advanced popup/nalware blocker such as PopUpCop.

RECCOMENDED:
- ANTI-VIRUS -
O TrendMicro PC-Cillin 2004 Internet Security.

- ANTI-TROJAN -
O SpyCop
O Trojan Hunter

- ANTI-SPYWARE -
O Spybot Search & Destroy
O Ad-Aware
O SpywareBlaster

- FIREWALL -
O Outpost Firewall Pro

- OTHER -
O PopUpCop [IE ONLY]

Miss
06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 06:33 PM
First of all you shoudn't be using McAfee or Norton. They both are horrible . Ironically, they are the 2 most popular anti-virus apps.
Told you so.

~Miss

Killer_Kevin
06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
yea i agree with taht mcafee and norton suk i had both and i had a few worms and virus and other crap they did nothin i had to go and fix em all myself

Drakken
06-16-2004, 04:21 PM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\[email protected]@@k.DLL is a dll used by TMK generated trainers for hotkeys. Many virus programs falsely identify it as a keylogger.

Crocomire
06-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Ya i kinda figure [email protected]@@k had to do with tmk... because when i opened some of Knwn's Tmk Sh!t it kept poppin up... i dont think thats supposed to happen lol :D

TheTempest
06-16-2004, 05:49 PM
agreed. NAV and mac suck...

lol com...i love the sig ;)

OverFlow636
06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
its pointless to scan hacks, if there is any 'bad' code in it the author of the hack put it there and theres no way any scanner is gona pick it up because they just wrote it.

G0D0FWAR
06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
What OverFlow is trying to say is... " No AV software is gonna pick up the bad code i put in the hacks you guys are downloading "

OverFlow636
06-17-2004, 12:26 AM
yup
all youer computear are bleongs to meh now

G0D0FWAR
06-17-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 04:26 AM
yup
all youer computear are bleongs to meh now

I figured <_<.

But really, what would stop you? If anyone were to do it, put some malicious code in a program, then through Starcraft hacks would be perfect. You have hundred, if not thousands of users trusting you update after update after update. Your victum list is near endless.

However, if you were ever caught, or suspected, that would kill your rep.

TheTempest
06-17-2004, 11:53 AM
ya, pretty much. But as stated before, scanning hacks isn&#39;t going to revel anything even if there was anything there.

teop118
06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
lol, i have the whole mcafee security system (latest.. virusscan, firewall, privacyservice, spamkiller, etc.) now im uninstalling and getting other crap.. lol. oh for you people who wonder why someone is going to buy the whole security system then just uninstall it, they probably didn&#39;t buy it. they&#39;re a pirate. har har, eye matey&#33; ( ?-- random. )

OverFlow636
06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
when i first released extended i had 4000 downloads in 2 days, imagin if that killed yer computer...

HelplessNewbie
06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 08:29 PM
when i first released extended i had 4000 downloads in 2 days, imagin if that killed yer computer...
so THATS what happened :)

Oh yeah is Panda antivirus any good?

OverFlow636
06-17-2004, 08:45 PM
no theres nothing bad in extended

ive never herd of panda, but i personally use avg anti virus i like it enough to waste processor power on it running constantly in the background

DSG
06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Panda is OK. It doesnt really do as good of a job as AVG or PC-Cillin, but it isnt as crappy as Norton or McAfee. It should work for you, panda has a decent scanning system, they just dont keep their pattern files as up to date as they should be.

h4xlover
06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
my good computer is well, like.... stuffed. downloaded oblivion and a doubler trojan got in maybe not from oblivion but jeez 2 hours from download-trojans(btw theres 14 thousand trojans atm) :jawdrop: also would like it if some1 told me y avg wont detect that **** when theres pop ups and all the crap.