PDA

View Full Version : scaring me

CrazyGerbilEater
01-27-2007, 06:37 AM
uhm...ya...when i started up my computer this morning my screen flashed a bunch of colors, then my moniter kinda shut off and turn on really fast, and the screen was wavy, and the waves were turning different directions. kinda pretty.

i know this is my graphics cards fault but is it omfg, GET IT OUT bad, or meh, you should get a new one soon??

magikmonky
01-27-2007, 08:44 AM
that sounds pretty sweet. just sit there and stare at it for a while

CrazyGerbilEater
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
lol, i do, im just wondering if that in the near future im going to start smelling something burning, or its going to blow up or something. I might not enjoy that very much.

Greek
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
You should probably wait until it happens again, and then I you know that it is your graphics card, then I would suggest getting a new one.

CrazyGerbilEater
01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
i guess il waste a couple hundred dollars and just up everything, then wait 5 years and throw it all away lol.

ok as long as it wont have a meltdown within the next few weeks lol

DSG
01-27-2007, 01:34 PM
It might not be the graphics card. It could be the monitor. I agree with Greek Wonder, wait and see if it happens again. You could try putting more stress on the video card by running some 3d benchmarking programs.

Aberrant
01-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with it possibly being the monitor. If it starts doing it fairly regularly, hook the monitor up to another computer and see if it does it on that computer. That way you figure out if it is the monitor or the graphics card.

howardmeis
01-27-2007, 01:40 PM
It might not be the graphics card. It could be the monitor. I agree with Greek Wonder, wait and see if it happens again. You could try putting more stress on the video card by running some 3d benchmarking programs.

Gotta keep your card/processor in shape.

CrazyGerbilEater
01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
well i think its my card, it is 7 years old now, its been causeing some slight problems, but ive decided im going to waste some cash replacing it, and buying some more ram, and memory.
I just need my friend to tell me a couple things about cards before i start buying, i understand most of it, but im still confused.
like i have AGP slot thingy, cuz thz what my card is (nVIDIA GeForce2 GTS), which is AGP 4x apparently(looked it up online), and i have no idea what 4x means. I saw at neweggs 2x/4x and 4x/8x and im not sure which to pick.
If it is the moniter, well I got an old one in my basement, and im not going to carry it up unless i have to, its hvy as ****.

John
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Your monitor needs to be degaussed.

Degauss your monitor.

CrazyGerbilEater
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
it doesnt need to degauss really, it does that auto when it turns on. besides that wouldnt cause wavy lines, and kinda like a color leak going horizontaly, or the screen to flash different colors. or would it?? i dont think so at least.

DSG
01-30-2007, 02:02 AM
A bad monitor or bad cable can do all sorts of things. But damn, even if it is the monitor, pick up a cheap video card for 50 bucks on ebay (GF2 is hella old/sucky). Even a GF4MX pwns that.