PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX Starcraft Apps?

CBJammin103
01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I just discovered that Starcraft and Broodwars CDs work with both OS X and Windows, so I installed SC on OS X and my windows partition under bootcamp. However, I'd rather not deal with rebooting to run windows and such...

Anyone know of any Starcraft 3rd party apps (i.e., hacks, tweaks, etc) that are compatible with OS X?

HARD_ON
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll give you a hint.
There is some source code for a porgram called "Cheat II" online somewhere.
Cheat II is a memory searcher just like one on Windows.

Probably the only thing hold you back from downloading it immediate and to start hacking is that Cheat II was compiled for PPC, not an x86.
I'll leave you to figure out the rest for yourself.

Good luck!

cocatoke
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Rather than bootcamp, you can try using Parallels. I use it to use windows, you don't have to reboot into windows with this thing [keeps everything Windows in one convenient window of its own! or you can fullscreen too. Or dual monitor]

Hey, you know what sucks about using a mac, though? No insert key.. And most maphacks depend on the insert key to toggle it.

HARD_ON
01-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Rather than bootcamp, you can try using Parallels. I use it to use windows, you don't have to reboot into windows with this thing [keeps everything Windows in one convenient window of its own! or you can fullscreen too. Or dual monitor]

Hey, you know what sucks about using a mac, though? No insert key.. And most maphacks depend on the insert key to toggle it.
Keyboard Remapper (http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/). First one I saw on Google, so it's probably no good. You can also just go and buy a USB keyboard.

BTW, Parallels sucks. Q is better. **hint: Open source!**
You know what's even better? Wine. (CrossOver or Darwine)

CBJammin103
01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, bootcamp allows for running windows natively, so full speed and full hardware support (assuming you have drivers). Only downside is you're probably going to have to dedicate something like 15GB for windows and such.

But that's not such a big issue for me, I have 80GB internal and a 320GB external with me.

Parallels isn't free, too, which I think is a heavily detrimental issue for it in the parallels vs. bootcamp battle. I didn't realize it could run on a separate monitor, though... that's a nifty feature. Of course, I'm not sure my Macbook integrated graphics would appreciate OS X and Vista Aero running at the same time, especially with games going.

Also, I wasn't looking so much to make my own hacks, I don't the the time or quite enough experience for anything sophisticated.

Yeah, no insert key is alright for just about everything except for starcraft maphacks... which is probably why it's such a popular key for that use.

So there aren't any existing apps for SC for OS X? Haven't really given much time to looking, but they're not really turning up.

HARD_ON
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Ever heard of iPartition? It partitions your HD without reformatting. It costs like 60 bucks I think, but I'm sure you wont have a problem getting it...;D

Anyways. I already told you what you can do. Compile the source of Cheat II for x86. I doubt you know how to do that. Never mind.

No, there is nothing you can do. Give up and never try again.

SubZero
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
You won't be able to use any virtualizaion programs to run starcraft cos none of them support 3d acceleration at the moment.

And I'd say Parallels is by far more superior to crossover or q.

CBJammin103
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, the install CD works for both Mac and Windows, so it's not installing that's the problem, it's getting any hacks or apps for Mac.

And yes, I could compile the Cheat II source, assuming it is, as you say, available publicly; however, I'm not looking for a mem-searcher, as I don't really have time to bother with trying to make my own hacks, I haven't really done anything elaborate in this department before.