PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Questions

YonderKnight
12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Ok, I want to dual-boot into ubuntu linux on this current PC, but i have some questions about it.

I have 2 40GB harddrives on this PC, C: and F:. C is currently used for my windows system stuff, and F is just a spare HD. I want to partition F in half or so. If I do this, will everything currently on F be erased? I have some programs installed on F and I don't feel like uninstalling them and re-installing them afterwards.

Thanks =).

kds
12-08-2006, 01:08 PM
edit: nvm I'm wrong. lol

TheTempest
12-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, I want to dual-boot into ubuntu linux on this current PC, but i have some questions about it.

I have 2 40GB harddrives on this PC, C: and F:. C is currently used for my windows system stuff, and F is just a spare HD. I want to partition F in half or so. If I do this, will everything currently on F be erased? I have some programs installed on F and I don't feel like uninstalling them and re-installing them afterwards.

Thanks =).

No. you wont lose F, if....you a)defrag the drive. b)dont shrink the file system smaller than is required. ie. if you have 20GB of data on it, dont make that partition 5 GB...etc.

I'll do more on this later.

TheTempest
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
No. you wont lose F, if....you a)defrag the drive. b)dont shrink the file system smaller than is required. ie. if you have 20GB of data on it, dont make that partition 5 GB...etc.

I'll do more on this later.

qtparted is great for this. it can move, resize, create, delete partitions =)
http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

Anyways, how do you want it setup?

YonderKnight
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks a lot TT =).
(he helped me on AIM, if anyone else has a similar question I'll post the steps up here).