PDA

View Full Version : What's so good?

lpxxfaintxx
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
What's so good about running linux? Is it worth downloading?

gamepin126
11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
It's free, unparalleled stability.

Twix
11-27-2006, 10:05 PM
your forgetting limted viruses, no adware or spyware, it's way more protected out of the box then windows will ever be.

bulk_4me
11-28-2006, 07:28 AM
What's so good about running linux? Is it worth downloading?

You can pretend you're a computer guru just for installing it... Anyway, you can setup a nice server with little resources.

Otaku
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I was thinking of buying a cheap old computer, putting large hard drives into it, and running Linus and bittorrent constantly. Good idea or no?

lpxxfaintxx
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Wouldn't that slow your internet connection?

Otaku
11-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Well, I'd turn it off when I play CS and stuff =p

gamepin126
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
it's way more protected out of the box then windows will ever be.
How so?

BloodyBlade
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Tell me, with linux do you get assloads of spyware/adware from having an idiot browse the internet on your computer?

Loser777
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Tell me, with linux do you get assloads of spyware/adware from having an idiot browse the internet on your computer?

I think they would still get ON your computer, but they wouldn't have any effect to linux at least.

bulk_4me
11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
That's biased.

BloodyBlade
11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Howso?

bulk_4me
11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Howso?
Point me to a site that infects you just for visiting it using Windows.

Twix
11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Point me to a site that infects you just for visiting it using Windows.
click (www.vnsystems.net/dorm/firefox.html)
That could easily be changed to make it infect you with spyware just for visting it,but I was nice and only made it crash firefox everytime you vist it.

bulk_4me
11-29-2006, 02:12 AM
404?

Twix
11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Sorry about that I forgot the l, the link is fixed now.

Megaz
11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
NoScript stopped it.

gamepin126
11-29-2006, 02:36 PM
NoScript stopped it.

FF: 1 Noobs: 0

HotShot
12-01-2006, 11:26 PM
It's free, unparalleled stability.

:\ So is Windows if you pirate it... If you got enough knowledge to even considering Linux, odds are you go enough knowledge to get a 100% working pirated version of Windows.

Also you mention stability... Except for today when running prime (new cpu) I do not recall the last time my computer froze/shutdown...

Linux on the other hand has done really weird things for me in the past... Once it went on the fritz after I installed it when I did a massive update, another time it installed itself over my windows xp partition (this one was my fault, sort of), another time it installed grub on the wrong HDD... Then again that was all on my first attempts, since then I have not had those problems...

In addition since you might edit system files (configure your mouse, mount HDD's, make grub select windows xp as default boot if you dual, install video card drivers, etc) you are more likely 2 screw it up yourself with a typo... <- fixable if you made a backup or edit the typo.

Original poster: On a positive note: The second time installing Ubuntu is a lot easier... My video card driver worked on my first attempt. Mouse is almost working... Mounted my HDDs quickly...

The biggest thing you should expect is working with the terminal. Id definitely take time learning the very basic commands. In addition the directory structure will be a little different at first....

YonderKnight
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, I think gamepin is right when he says it's very stable. Maybe you don't have crashes on cutting-edge computers, but right now I'm on a 10 year old comp running Win2k (it originally ran 95, we eventually upgraded to 2k). Yeah, it's not the most stable thing in the world.

When I was running linux on this same computer, it ran a lot slower than win2k does (I'm guessing due to the fancy GUI) and generally had a slow response time, but an app NEVER crashed on me (by crash I mean either froze or had to close down). So yeah, I'd say linux is more stable than windows.

BloodyBlade
12-02-2006, 12:23 AM
You will need an emulator for MS Office and Photoshop.

Pretty much all of them can be modified to your heart's content.

You put the disk in, boot from it, and press install (most of the time). Yes, but you will need to install a boot-loader like GRUB (this is usually included with the installer).

Linux isn't usually used for casual PC users.

bulk_4me
12-03-2006, 12:36 AM
I like how customizable linux is and i don't like bblean.

You can pretty much customize every single aspect of it, but don't expect it to be straight forward, is a time consuming, tedious task. Changing colors and simple stuff is somehow easy, but messing with icons and tool bars is not. The whole customization process varies from window manager to window manager don't expect to be able to reproduce the same results in GNOME just because you used KDE.

HARD_ON
12-03-2006, 05:36 AM
You will need an emulator for MS Office and Photoshop.

Pretty much all of them can be modified to your heart's content.

You put the disk in, boot from it, and press install (most of the time). Yes, but you will need to install a boot-loader like GRUB (this is usually included with the installer).

Linux isn't usually used for casual PC users.
I don't believe so. CodeWeavers makes Crossover, which is a program to run Windows applications on Linux like you would normally on Windows. From what I read of the Linux version, It is not a "emulator". I haven't tried using the Linux version, but I have on Mac. It's rather quick with 2GB of ram. You can do normal speeds with just 1GB though.

BloodyBlade
12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
They make WINE, and I'm sure CrossOver is based on that same technology. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

I ment Wine/Cedega when I said emulator, very well knowing that wine isn't an emulator.

YonderKnight
12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I always thought WINE stood for WINdows Emulator.

Lol.

gamepin126
12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Let's talk linux.

Which one is the best for people who talk on msn a lot, use email, photoshop, and need microsoft office? ...if there is one, anyway.

Which one has the most gui support and is the most skinnable?

How do you install linux? Can it be done from a machine currently running on Windows XP Pro?
Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Blackbox and GAIM

BloodyBlade
12-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Email can be done via any webbrowser, Mr. Gaypoon.

I personally dislike email programs.

Xthar
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
yeah i cant stand email programs.. Id rather use a webapp.

bulk_4me
12-05-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm currently running Windows 2000 Server on laptop, and I'm still waiting for a crash or slowdown, the laptop is running 3 sites in IIS, SQL Server, Printer Server, NWN Server, eMule, and pretty much sharing files 24/7 over the network. IMO Windows 2000 server is super stable.

TheTempest
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
There are so many good reasons to install linux, which I'm running from right now. In order to narrow them down, tell me what you want to do with your computer.

Just for starters:
No more, driver bull****. Everything is built into the kernel. Simply updating the kernel gets all of the latest nVidia drivers, etc...Updating the kernel can be done in about 1-3 minutes. Simply typing:
apt-get install <kernel version>

on debian systems and you're good to go. Simply reboot, and select the new kernel. This system also offers you the OLD kernel as well. The file system, how the files are stored (ie. defragment) is much more intelligent than that **** M$ calls a filesystem. Linux doesn't fragment files NEARLY as bad, I'm talking like 5% of M$ fragmentation. The files are kept closer on the blocks, this means faster reads. The memory mangment is better, ie. internal garbage collection.

Not to mention stability, all the free software you could possibly imagine. Some good examples:
GAIM
The Gimp
FireFox
Wine
Open Office
Apache
MySQL
PHP
The list goes on,
Multimeida, Games, Archiving (DVD/CD burning)...all free. Easily installed, see. synaptics or rpmdrake (mandriva).

The filesystem hieriarchy (sp) makes a ****load more since, see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Everything is fully customizable (if you want). It's a real operating system, ie. comes with utilites that SHOULD be on any OS. ie. md5sum (to verify big files are not corrupt).

Go here:
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

And pull down the latest DVD or CD:

Burn the img to CD / DVD, put in your CD / DVD drive and then reboot. Welcome to a full-blown version of linux, that doesn't even touch the HD. So you can do what ever you want, and simply reboot and it doesn't matter. This is a great way to get used to linux, with no penelty to your HD.

Dude, did I forget, FREE :)

Super
12-05-2006, 08:13 PM
So if I were a complete noob at linux and wanted to dual boot it to my comp running windows, what would I have to do? (ie: where to get the program, which version)

TheTempest
12-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I would use ubuntu for a full install, and knoppix as a better live CD.

www.ubuntu.com
As the of their page says, for human beings. This is a Debian based distro. This means you can use untils like, apt-get (see wiki), or synapitics (also see wiki).

Read this website:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperbeta?highlight=%28screenshot%29

Dispite the website saying for beta, this is actually one version old, latest version is 6.10 edgy. I would actually stick with 6.06, unless you have any problems with that. (I've installed this on 3 computers, including my own before.) uBuntu is by far, the easiest to use distro, plus you get a debian base (anyone will tell you, that rocks). For example, upgrading the kernel, if you ever deside to do, is as simply as downloading a 40MB .deb file. Then install it using dpkg, edit your boot menu, and reboot, that simple. This also keeps the old kernel for backup reasons. Not to mention, the community for this distro rocks for people just getting started in linux.

So, to sum it up, use ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake.

Here's the getting started once your installed manual:
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

Here's THE guide to do anything on that distro and version:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

Installation:
1)
Grab a disc at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

Scroll down to:
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, Ubuntu with Long Term Support

Click anyone of the mirrors.

Take this one for example:
http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu//6.06/

Pick one of the desktop CDs. If you have an AMD 64 (ie. Athalon, Turion, etc...) get this one, 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD.
ie. http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Anyways, now burn the image.

2)
Install

Heres a guide for Dual Boot windowsXP:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Here's an ok guide, I used to one with awesome pictures, I can't find that, someone else know where it is? anyways, click here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Let me know if you any educated questions (ie. not answered in the above info)

edit: This is parts of the offical ubuntu book, lots of pictures and howto setup everything:
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/book/book/ubuntubook-ch3-html/UsingUbuntuontheDesktop.html

TT

Intangir
12-07-2006, 03:58 PM
wow this thread is huge
and half the people dont seem to have a clue what they are talking about, fortunately the other half do ;)