PDA

View Full Version : Do you use linux?

Intangir
11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
poll

kds
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
dual boot once in a while into Ubuntu 6 on my main PC
Ubuntu is the only OS on the PC in my basement that I use for browsing and listening to music.

disco
11-09-2006, 09:37 AM
No. Not because I love only Microsoft or because I'm afraid of it though. I've considered trying it out a few times in the past, but I never got around to it.

ParadiseFaust
11-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I just installed Ubuntu Edgy Eft last week and I love it, I already got Automatix, Cedega and Beryl. I can't wait until the weekend to get to use linux more in-depth and find new apps.

Erm, Gnutella!

exzapel
11-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Where's the "I used linux before but I don't know, even though I thought it was okay" option?

Mystic Videl
11-09-2006, 10:28 AM
I dual boot with it everyonce and awhile. Just incase I need to troubleshoot something with Linux.

goawayfatman
11-09-2006, 01:21 PM
dual boot once in a while into Ubuntu 6 on my main PC
Ubuntu is the only OS on the PC in my basement that I use for browsing and listening to music.
whoo! ubuntu.........at lesat thats the best outta what i tryed

Intangir
11-09-2006, 01:29 PM
i also love ubuntu
im stuck on a fedora system right now though but i prefer ubuntu

BloodyBlade
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I run Ubuntu on VMware and have Fedora Core 5 installed on my PC.

DA(
11-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I run Ubuntu only off the disk, I'm too lazy to install it.

ParadiseFaust
11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I haven't seen many variations of Linux, only SUSE, Ubuntu and kubuntu. I always hear about Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.

What does Fedora have to offer that Ubuntu can't? I want to have the right distro installed before I get used to mine.

SC_Modder
11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I've never heard of Ubuntu until Intangir or someone mentioned it. Is it really as awesome as everyone says?

kds
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes. It's really easy to use too.

howardmeis
11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I've used Damn Small Linux. That's it.

I'm a Windows guy through and through.

Gold_Yoshi
11-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Ubuntu is completely awesome, but lately I've been using Windows quite a bit...

Loser777
11-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Used DSL to test my comp after building it to see if it would work or not.

ComradeSlavic
11-11-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm just starting to get the hang of this "Linux" creature. Although I have been having problems installing stuff, and getting automatix to work.

Pwnd
11-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Microsoft is a piece of ****, but oh well.

Intangir
11-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly, installer works off a live CD now, it detects just about any hardware youve got and sets up it automatically, there are lots of tutorials on their wiki for installing/setting up just about anything. scripts like automatic, and easyubuntu for installing/setting up the most commonly used things, the package system is very well tested and works great and is easily extendable.

Debian is great too, its what ubuntu is based off of, i think ubuntu takes it that extra mile that makes all the difference in usability

Fedora is similar, but they just have different package system (which i dont like) and different default settings for alot of things (some of which seem retarded)

Gentoo is a pain.. you have to build everything locally, so installing the OS or any new software takes a REALLLY long time. the brightside of it is you can configure anything you install specifically for your hardware, and for what features you want it to have, basically you can optimize the **** out of every damn thing you install, but it really doesnt make enough of a difference to be worth it i think

Suse i havent tried since like 98 (and it SUCKED then) but i think its one of the ones they expect you to pay for, im not paying for free software..

DeathAfterLife
11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
microsoft is a **** crashing operating system but i still use it lol

BloodyBlade
11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
microsoft is a **** crashing operating system but i still use it lolWhat an intelligent deduction!

HotShot
11-15-2006, 09:56 AM
I dual.... I wanted to switch to it permanently... but Windows XP is so convenient... It is also faster...

BloodyBlade
11-15-2006, 01:21 PM
XP is not faster, if by faster you mean more resource efficient.

HotShot
11-16-2006, 07:44 AM
XP is faster both because you often need to use emulation and I can get more things done faster in the XP software then in the equivalent of Linux.

On top of all that you also need to optimize Ubuntu. Example: Right out of the box (eh install) Firefox opens a lot faster in Windows XP then it does in Ubuntu.

ParadiseFaust
11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
On top of all that you also need to optimize Ubuntu. Example: Right out of the box (eh install) Firefox opens a lot faster in Windows XP then it does in Ubuntu.
Then you have a POS computer. Nearly everything runs faster in Ubuntu than XP for me unless Cedega emulating a game. Even in that case, it's just about equally as fast as XP.

gamepin126
11-17-2006, 01:31 AM
XP is faster both because you often need to use emulation and I can get more things done faster in the XP software then in the equivalent of Linux.

Emulation? You better not be talking about using, say WINE, and running the same app in Linux.

XP is far more hardware requirement dependant than Linux ever will be. Linux uses what you have, and isn't picky. If WinXP gets resource deprived, have fun never wanting to turn your computer on because of the pain it will be just to run normally.

If you intend to defend yourself, I demand benchmarks from the same computer; otherwise stfu you ignorant noob.

Raistlin
11-17-2006, 08:57 PM
The only poll options for people who use Microsoft exclusively are either that they "love microsoft only", are "afraid" of Linux, or have tried Linux in the past and disliked it. There is no option for people who use Microsoft exclusively but neither love Microsoft nor fear Linux nor dislike Linux after previous use... ie, regular PC users.

HotShot
11-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I made three points about speed.

1# You often need emulation.
Yes I was talking about wine. Sometimes there are application I want to use which require wine other times I simple preferred it over Linux equivalent software.

2# I can get more things done faster in Windows XP
This point was less about the system efficient but about me. I am very comfortable with the tools I use in Windows XP (Word, VDUB, alcohol 120%, uTorrent, FrontPage, VB6, MVC++, etc). If I use emulation there is a small delay, if I use an equivalent I am never as comfortable and as quick as Windows XP tools (also apparently there is no equivalent for alcohol 120%).

3# Optimization
Right after a Windows XP install I simple pop in my mobo disk and then download latest video card drivers and I am done (after updates). Windows XP is virtually ready.

With Ubuntu:
--Install, pick some of your settings as you install.
--Type in commands to install your video card drivers.
--Install CPU optimization.
--Fix screw ups GRUB did (I got many HDDs).
--Add my HDDs logically.
--Installing suppositories to install other basic software.
Etc.

I had also spent time getting my HD videos working, but for some reason I was missing yet another "optimization" because my videos were lagging a little which play perfectly fine in Windows XP.

I had also spent hours trying to get basic features of my mouse to work. It never ended up working.

What it all comes down to is Windows XP takes hours to be setup 100% back, with Ubuntu it takes days and even when I am done I always fell there is something to be done.

On top of that certain application load faster then there Linux equivalent (and vise-versa.) Example: Out of the <box> Word (XP) takes 3 seconds to load while Open Office (uBuntu) takes 11 seconds.

I was simple stating my personal experience. I will also tell you that Windows XP will out perform Linux in games (especially high end), if you do not believe you are ignorant blind fanboy.

I could also argue your Anti XP points, but I am lazy and I do not want to sound like a MS fanboy.

Note: Ignore my grammar/typos, as long as you get the point. Been up since 6, going to sleep now...

BloodyBlade
11-17-2006, 10:08 PM
#1 WINE Is Not an Emulator
Anyway, ofcourse WINE's speeds aren't the same, but if you have a half decent computer it won't really matter for most apps.

#2 Not a factor. Just becuase you are used to XP doesn't mean XP is more efficient.

#3 You only have to do it once. Setting up Linux doesn't take more than a day or two if you work on it for a couple hours.

HOLY FU*KING **** YOU HAVE TO WAIT AN EXTRA EIGHT SECONDS TO WORD TO LOAD OMG IM SO STUPID WINDOWS IS SO MUCH BETTER

Cedega emulates games/apps pretty well. I use it all the time.

Note: I use Windows most of the time. I'm far from a Linux fanboy, I just hate the monopoly that Microsoft has created.

NickF
11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
http://www.windowsitpro.com/linuxfaq/
For those of you Linux newbs, here you go.

TheTempest
11-22-2006, 09:46 PM
No. Not because I love only Microsoft or because I'm afraid of it though. I've considered trying it out a few times in the past, but I never got around to it.

Boo!!! get in the action homie. Gentoo, Knoppix, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora FC6, come on...So many good choices, try a live CD. Get used to it. Trust me, it's WAY the **** better than ****ing M$ =-)

Loser777
11-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Complatibility is my thing. If there was something as small as linux but could run MS apps, I'd use it.

TheTempest
11-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I run Ubuntu on VMware and have Fedora Core 5 installed on my PC.

get a better verson of linux. Madriva, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Knoppix, etc...

TheTempest
11-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Complatibility is my thing. If there was something as small as linux but could run MS apps, I'd use it.

"Virtual PC" :-D

BloodyBlade
11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
I just said that I run Ubuntu.

Other than all of those I run iPodLinux.

ComradeSlavic
11-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I had alot of problems running iPodLinux, did you?

BloodyBlade
11-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Not at all. I've been playing emulators/iDoom/videos/music just fine. I'm using Floydzilla and Loader2.

I have a 30g 4G Photo iPod.

ParadiseFaust
11-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Guys, use Amarok. It's exponentially better than iPodLinux.

BloodyBlade
11-26-2006, 12:59 AM
You don't know what iPodLinux is, do you?

http://www.ipodlinux.org/

ParadiseFaust
11-26-2006, 01:13 AM
My bad, I thought you said iTunesLinux.

homebrew89
02-04-2007, 01:50 AM

(also apparently there is no equivalent for alcohol 120%).

Just use mount lol.

Rowingdude
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Where is the FreeBSD option :(

Rowingdude
03-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Well, this thread seems to have gone down hill, so...

FreeBSD > Linux >= Windows :)

Okay, I use linux too. I use Linux for my home PC, I dual boot with windows usually, FreeBSD/Windows run on the laptop. The ONLY reason I have Windows is because Microsoft Office 2007 blows the **** out of Open Office, in terms of speed, stability *sigh*, and size.

Umm, yeah, I do prefer open source to proprietary stuff like MS, but with Bittorrent, proprietary software is affordable :)

ParadiseFaust
03-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't argue that FreeBSD is better, but I prefer the look and feel of Linux if you know what I mean.

Rowingdude
03-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't argue that FreeBSD is better, but I prefer the look and feel of Linux if you know what I mean.

Look and feel?? Yeah, Linux feels more "user friendly".. true, whereas FreeBSD is pretty "configure it or it won't work"