PDA

View Full Version : Vote!..... if you can

DSG
11-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Tomorrow is the day. November 7th. Stand up and be counted.

If you don't vote(and you can vote) you have no right to complain about anything that happens in the 2008 elections and the time to come. And don't pull the my vote doesn't count thing because it does. Its the Presidential/2008 elections that can be said to not count because of the electoral votes. Which makes these elections even more critical because you are affecting how those electoral votes will be cast.

Only choose a candidate if you know their issues or have looked objectively. If you don't know who they are don't guess or pull the party card. That defeats the purpose and screws the system over. Take the time while you still can if you haven't already to check out your candidates. Local newspapers are the best way and they usually have some sort of online database on issues for your area somewhere.

Nothing pisses me off more than an uninformed voter. I would prefer you wouldn't vote if you can't take the time to research.

dopesmoker
11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
yea I was reading a american bill or something of the sort and it says specifically that your vote dont count towards presidential elections

disco
11-06-2006, 08:04 AM
I can't vote yet, but I'm not sure who I would choose. I'm usually more sympathetic with republicans, but right now I like the democrats more.

DSG
11-06-2006, 08:17 AM
http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm

Being an independent is the way to go. Base your vote on their issues, not on whether you like a party or not.

dopesmoker
11-06-2006, 08:43 AM
http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm

Being an independent is the way to go. Base your vote on their issues, not on whether you like a party or not.

did you forget already? people lie, let alone politicians.

hahahaha "base your vote on their issues"

DUI_
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
yea I was reading a american bill or something of the sort and it says specifically that your vote dont count towards presidential elections

Correct, there is something called the Electoral College.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Electoral_College

Each state votes and which ever candidate wins in that state is who the Electoral College votes for. Each state has a diffrent amount of votes.

For example Bush vs Kerry, Kerry had the most votes by citizens (popular vote) but Bush won because he had the most votes by the Electoral College.

dopesmoker
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
"Electoral College helps dilute the effect of votes from densely populated centers which may steer away from the concerns of the rest of the country"

" the effect might be more likely to affect one candidate than another; for example, as there was a large anti-Bush sentiment in 2004, voters in uncontested states might have been more willing to come out in favor of John Kerry, despite their vote being less likely to make a difference, as a sign of opposition to incumbent George W. Bush.

The effects of this phenomenon are somewhat known, but impossible to quantify in any close election, such as in 2000, when Al Gore had 0.5% more of the cast votes than George W. Bush, far inside the margin of error of any study. Because of the extremely thin margin, the only way to know who would have won the popular vote in 2000 would be to have conducted an actual popular vote."

"A key element of democracy is that voters disagree among themselves on what they consider their interests, and this happens within states as well as between states. For example, in the 2000 election, New Hampshire's voters voted 48% for Bush, and 47% for Gore. All of New Hampshire's electoral votes, however, went to Bush. This causes candidates to focus their efforts on states whose electoral votes are in question, rather than individual voters whose ballots are in play, and may contribute to broader sectional divisions"

besides, doesnt matter who becomes president, its the people behind the president that make all the decisions, the president is just a face to be blamed

Otaku
11-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Can't vote. :(

xFactur
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Won't vote.

exzapel
11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
My friend came up with a strategy for this.
He's going to vote republican and pick the candidate he hates the least under this reasoning: If you vote for the one you hate least and he wins, then your chances of getting a president you like go up since it's like a vote against the candidates you hate.

howardmeis
11-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I get to vote in next presidential election ^.^

W00t, the phone calls stop tomorrow!!!

Shade
11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Was too late to get an absentee ballot. ****. It's down to Virginia! I hope democrats take control of the senate so badly.

gamepin126
11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Didn't vote.

Shade
11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Didn't vote.

If you are in the states right now, and are old enough, why the f*ck didn't you vote?

gamepin126
11-09-2006, 12:56 PM
If you are in the states right now, and are old enough, why the f*ck didn't you vote?

slept through it

Pete_Zahut
11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Arnold scahwrezennnrerasdgger remains governer of cali

DSG
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Democrats have the senate and house majority now but somehow, Idaho, a state which needs a change of party pretty badly, went almost all Republican. Sigh, you gotta love idiots that straight party vote and/or don't take the time to research first. We seriously need a 4-party system (works awesome in Germany). Arnold earned it, he has been doing a pretty good job from what I have seen.

p00onu
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I voted and all but 2 people I voted for got elected.

dt
11-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Democrats have the senate and house majority now but somehow, Idaho, a state which needs a change of party pretty badly, went almost all Republican. Sigh, you gotta love idiots that straight party vote and/or don't take the time to research first. We seriously need a 4-party system (works awesome in Germany). Arnold earned it, he has been doing a pretty good job from what I have seen.

Actually we have a 5-party system.

Shade
11-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Democrats have the senate and house majority now

I'm so happy. We will definitely not even consider going into Iran now.

Raistlin
11-12-2006, 01:33 PM

The electoral college doesn't mean your vote doesn't count.

Say you have ten rooms. In each room, everyone in the room casts their vote for one candidate or the other. The candidate who wins the most rooms wins the election. This is how the electoral college system works. If not for that system, one room could control everything as long as that room had enough people in it.

Meaning that without the electoral college, states like New York and California would be able to easily dominate the political landscape. The states in heartland USA would would have no say in the election and no chance of the federal government's agenda being one with their interests in mind also. Thus is the purpose of the electoral college.