PDA

View Full Version : changing IP with limited access

bat
10-03-2006, 11:03 AM
im using the school computers to get some files off rapidshare, like, warez and stuff. But the wait times are killing me. I know how to change IP's and Proxy's and stuff and i do it at home, but id like to get files while im at school and bring em home via USB. Problem is the school comps have limited access like crazy and i cant even command prompt or run exe's. Anyone know a good way to change IP's with like, the least permissions on a comp? Im at school from like 9 to 9 everyday, so it would be nice to study while im at least getting some movies or games or something.

Mystic Videl
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Mmmm depending on the way the server towers are set up at your school, completely turning off the computer and turning it on again could release and renew your IP automaticly. However if you don't have proper rights then there isn't much else that can be done. I'd make a file that could do it but you can't run .exe(s) so, really there isn't much that can be done. Sorry for not being able to help you all that much with your problem. I doubt we are supposed to help you with Warez anyway. Just wait till you get home to download whatever.

Edit: Be completely sure you can't access the command prompt. Go to run and try to execute it from there by typing command or cmd.

attilathedud
10-03-2006, 11:29 AM
It's simple to access command prompt; my school did the same thing. Just open up notepad, type start in it, and save it as a .bat file. Then just double click and wallah!

SC_Modder
10-03-2006, 12:54 PM
With places like schools, every single computer shares the same IP address. There's no way to avoid it.

The_Jelly
10-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Just leave your computer at home on to download. Unless your internet is really that terrible.

SC_Modder
10-03-2006, 01:50 PM
your*

Also, for those using dialup leaving your computer on during the day is impossible. Besides, it's much cooler to impress your friends with your USB disk and your downloading 5k!11z.

bat
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
i just tried that bat file trick on my school's comps, and it slapped me with a:

"this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. please contact your system administrator"

nice try, it was a good idea.

thanks fer the help guys, still not sure if i can or cannot run exe's but i think i tried it a long time back and it didnt work.

i dont know what more i can do, the turning it off and then back on doesnt work, disconnecting for a few minutes doesnt work. I think i heard of websites that were meant to counter this kind of stuff, and while the website was up, there werent any permission conflicts. Any other ideas?

and, yes, my internet at home really is crappy. :o

nova587
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
my school computers use linux+lilo to boot, then runs windows xp and they're all set to the same proxy

Mystic Videl
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I don't think there is anyway anyone can help you. Sorry we couldn't resolve your problem USMC.

bat
10-05-2006, 10:21 AM
yeh its ok, theres a few comps at school with a little more acess than the library ones, and my lab class uses those for like 4 hours every monday, so i guess i can just wait till monday to get my fair share of dl'ing. The only issue now is i only got a 1 gig USB, so... w/e...

Anyone know any good sites online that you can upload stuff for free, and retrieve at a later time? The killer to my method is the rapidshare waiting times.. Anywayz, thanks for your help, or your good intentions at least, even though i practically stopped playing sc since school started, i came to this board cuz the people that respond are generally knowledgeable about whatever they talk about.

attilathedud
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
You could just make a geocities and upload your stuff their and retrieve it. It's free, plus no wait times.

putis
10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.filefront.com/ is also good, especially for large things.

bat
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
which is the best do you think? considering that the files that im probly going to be downloading is probably going to be TV shows, (considered to be illegal cuz of copyright) I just read the TOS of filefront and i guess they monitor whatever is uploaded pretty heavily and ban anyone putting up files like warez.

I guess its not even right to ask about it in this forum, but considering that im asking about websites that offer good (and free :wink:) uploading rather than directly asking for illegal stuff, i hope its ok.

I notice i rarely see any geocities links anymore, i dont know enough to assume if its because its sub-par or anything, but if someone could recommend some good sites, then that would be great.

And it would be nice if they had fast download speeds, cuz i notice when i DL from speedshare it can go as slow as 13-20 kbps..

Ill probly use megaupload some... any other sites you guys know?

edit: WOW i just signed up for geocities free.. lawl 15 mb disk space.
i guess thats pretty much what you can expect to get for free, rite?

what about making a lycos email account, and mailing myself? (if i remeber correctly, its lycos that has no upload limit on their attachments, am i wrong?) Would that work? or is it too slow?

Goose-Juice
10-06-2006, 05:34 AM
1Gig, why dont you just istall Limewire on your flash when your at home, than when you take it to school, download a couple of episodes onto it, than take it home to watch.
Dunno if this would work with your restricted comps, but surely it would work with the lab Ones.