PDA

View Full Version : Partion Maker.

howardmeis
09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I need a partition maker that can make me a FAT partition of about 5mb on my C:\ drive. I need it to help me to update my BIOS. Apparently I'm using a NTFS file system. I've honestly never heard of that. I'm used to FAT and FAT32.
Thanks.

Pete_Zahut
09-15-2006, 07:06 PM
u should reformat your harddrive to FAT32 or FAT
b4 u reformat u should back up ur hard drive cuz u cant change from NTFS to FAT32/FAT without deleting all ur info

SC_Modder
09-15-2006, 07:10 PM
That 5MB of "free space" is actually in use by the NTFS partion. I think it has something to do with indexing files.

BloodyBlade
09-15-2006, 07:12 PM
NTFS has been the standard since Windows XP came out.

Partition Magic (http://www.torrentz.com/search_partition-magic_0u) is what I use when I want to do things with partitions.

EDIT: SC_Modder, I assume he doesn't mean to imply that he thinks he can make a partition on that extra space.

SC_Modder
09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh, I see that now, never mind.

howardmeis
09-16-2006, 05:53 AM
b4 u reformat u should back up ur hard drive cuz u cant change from NTFS to FAT32/FAT without deleting all ur info
Why would I reformat when I can simply make a petition?

NTFS has been the standard since Windows XP came out.

Partition Magic (http://www.torrentz.com/search_partition-magic_0u) is what I use when I want to do things with partitions.

EDIT: SC_Modder, I assume he doesn't mean to imply that he thinks he can make a partition on that extra space.
Thanks for the torrentz link, but I prefer ISOHunt and Demonoid. ^.^ Still thanks. +rep.

Bilago
09-16-2006, 06:12 AM

you are a dumb ass. NTFS is a far better file system and as already said, is the standard since win 2k honestly if your going to say things that are not only incoherent , but extremly stupid, then stay out of the technical area.

i mean wtf are you thinking, first of all FAT cant handle more then 2 Gigs of hard drive space so how would that work?

and in comparision fat32 has a larger slack in space usage, as you actually can use less of a harddrive using fat32 then if you used ntfs.

howard, programs like Norton Partition magic can make new partitions out of already existing ones, but has a very high chance of f ux0ring up so backup everything you find valuable before you do it.

or go to a computer store and buy yourself a 800mb hard disk for like 5 bucks lol

Mystic Videl
09-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Control Panel>Administrator Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management... Go crazy.

Pete_Zahut
09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
it depends on what the person wants
gamers would want FAT32 bcuz of the speed
and ppl into media and stuff would like NTFS bcuz it allows metasearching and imposes no limit on file size

SC_Modder
09-16-2006, 09:47 AM
NTFS has a multitude of features that were not on FAT/FAT32, such as on the fly encryption and compression.

Using FAT32 for gaming would be stupid; Whatever performance gain you get would be very miniscule compared to the features you now lack.

NickF
09-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I've had some issues with partition magic, be careful.

Loser777
09-16-2006, 03:16 PM
To update BIOS? I was able to flash my BIOS with NTFS...

Mystic Videl
09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Wait, yeah. Loser has a point... your BIOS has nothing to do with NTFS or Fat32.

Edit: 500th post.