PDA

View Full Version : What assembler do you use?

Dayve
09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Only people who made hacks or who know assembly answer this:

I've read a few tutorials to begin learning ASM. But before I begin I want to know what assembler program do you guys use. What is the best choice?

Also, is a 'debugger' the same thing as an assembler/disassembler?

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
09-06-2006, 07:51 PM
mASM and FASM

LCS
09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I use MASM, RadASM for my IDE and OLLYDBG as a debugger.

Here are some links for downloads, last time I check OLLYDBG's download links are dead at the homepage, so it might be a little harder to find a download for it, I'm using v1.10 for OLLY.

MASM, definitely read this page about MASM then go ahead and download it if you think you're up to it.
http://www.masm32.com/

RadASM, you can code in notepad if you want but I'd recommend using an IDE, RadASM is my favorite.
http://www.radasm.com/

Dayve
09-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks.

By the way, I heard of a debugger called "SoftICE." Is it outdated or what? I couldn't even install it because it was for Windows 98.

gamepin126
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
SI is probably THE most powerful debugger you'll find. However, it's power is really unneccessary for hacking games, unless you start messing with something that operations on ring0 starforce. It's more of a commandline debugger, meaning you must know the commands, you get a primitive cursor and there's a not a lot of 'point and click' functionality. However, like I said before, it is extremely powerful and once you get the hang of it, very easy. SI has the ability to completely pause the application, pop and allow you to debug, without minimizing, also.

OllyDBG is a great graphical debugger, lots of customizable colors and purty windows and is great for people who aren't commandline saavy. It's very easy to use, and has a quick learning curve. I've used both, and it really depends on your tastes.

With SI, you'll get a lot of "debugger detected, unload the debugger and try again" kind of messages. This is fixable, but not the easiest thing to find to fix. SI also is not for XP and you'll have to get a patch, to make it work and also extremely expensive, so unless you're just soopar at finding the like, use a free one ie: OllyDBG.

I recommand OllyDBG for beginner, you can 'explore' through all it's functions, test stuff and fumble through it wouthout being left in the dark about it's higher level functions like SI where you have to learn all the commands and know ASM thoroughly.

Perma
09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Only people who made hacks or who know assembly answer this:

I've read a few tutorials to begin learning ASM. But before I begin I want to know what assembler program do you guys use. What is the best choice?

Also, is a 'debugger' the same thing as an assembler/disassembler?

Flat Assembler (fASM) is probably one of the coolest forms of higher level assembly. You can download the free assembler at http://www.flatassembler.net. The documentation that comes with the assembler covers an introduction to the assembly language and is actually quite informative.

You can also find a lot of source at their site.

p00onu
09-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I use MASM, RadASM for my IDE and OLLYDBG as a debugger.

:peek:

p_025
09-08-2006, 04:00 PM
:peek:
Your spamming skills are surpassed by few.

Anyway, I don't know about all this fancy debugger and coding programs and whatnot, I just know that I made some code in ASM that compiled into machine code using a BAT file. Presumably, the BAT used some stuff built right into Windows (XP), as I didn't really install any programs with it.

It outputted a .dll, which would inject and when I hit my one hotkey, the game crashed. However, if it had done what I'd wanted, I would have desynced anyway.

Dayve
09-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey guys, I am now starting to familiarize myself with those programs. Right now, I can't seem to find the appropriate guide to ASM for beginners. I do have Ice-zelions tutorials, but he asumes the reader knows how to use MASM.

So if I can't find a tutorial that explains from scratch, I guess I will have to just... try to learn those programs myself until I am at the right level to read the more advanced guides.

Thanks for everyones support.

LCS
09-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Check out Dyndrilliac's thread, it should be very helpful.
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16468

p00onu
09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Your spamming skills are surpassed by few.

By saying ":peek: " I was agreeing in the sense that what LCS listed, I also used.

And since I write hacks that actually work, you have no room to talk.