PDA

View Full Version : "Them"

IversonAli3
09-02-2006, 05:09 AM
If you said "we" you would be implying that you have some sort of position in the government. Just because we elect the people who run the government, does not mean we have any control over what they do.

Plus, imagine the confusion that would cause.

ScAreCroW
09-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I guess in a small way "we" would be correct. But it really doesn't make sense since officially most of us do nothing to Govern our nation.

Mystic Videl
09-02-2006, 10:07 AM
We means the people as a whole. Them and they recognizes a certain group of people.

Mookster
09-02-2006, 11:08 AM
We won't do **** until it's messing with our western lifestyle. That's what makes this type of tyranny so easy.

magikmonky
09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
the government is trying to censor our lives. covering up information from us, stuff they dont want us to know. the governments gay.

yes im a hippie so suck my balls

BloodyBlade
09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes, it is all a conspiracy.

Come on, listen to yourselves.

FreeThinkly
09-02-2006, 02:04 PM
No one said anything about conspiracies....

BloodyBlade
09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Goddamn you're ****ing stupid. Look at the 2 posts before my own.

ScAreCroW
09-02-2006, 04:18 PM
If you really think about it why wouldn't the gas companies raise their prices? It's a product just like food or games. They can sell it for whatever they want. And since they know they'll make more money why not? However the government can set price caps on it to keep it a little low, atleast in Canada. So don't **** your pants every time you see the price of gas. You'd do the same if you were them.

ScAreCroW
09-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah but they sell it at .96 cents/litre here I think. Not sure it may be 96 cents/gallon. Anyway I don't really mind yet. Maybe somewhere down the line if money is tight and gas goes up in price I'll be one of those old people yelling at things.

phantoma
09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
We say them because if we would say "we" that means that we would be apart of the problem, which is something that we can't do. We can't take responsibility for our actions.

Mystic Videl
09-02-2006, 05:16 PM
What the hell. Gas is $2.50 here. That is super unfair. But yeah... a modern age conspiracy theory is nothing more than people that think our goverment cares about our opinions getting riled up off their drugs. (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds <3)

magikmonky
09-02-2006, 05:20 PM
our government is full of **** holes

han_han
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
"We" (the people) refer to the government as "they" because they (the government) are != the people. If the government was = to the people, then every single person who is a citizen of this country can be considered a government official. That would be total chaos, a comment from a careless American to all the other countries in the world like "j00 guys r t3h fag" might cause a huge war. We (the people and the government) can refer to ourselves as "we" when we are talking about the country as a whole.

Mystic Videl
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Obviously. It is the United States, why do you think we have to be protected from our goverment? (The people should not fear their goverment, their goverment should fear the people.)

han_han
09-02-2006, 05:31 PM
****ing Hobbs. It's all his fault. If it weren't for him we'd be peacefully at war with everyone following the rule of "survival of the fittest," instead of creating temporary cures and treatments to fatal diseases. If you are born weaker, die.

magikmonky
09-02-2006, 05:34 PM
the government is bull****

IversonAli3
09-03-2006, 01:55 AM
So when we elected our first forms of government, wasn't it so that we as a people would have a voice? To imply they or them would be to say that they, rather than us, have absolute power. Are you willing to just sit aside while this is happening and act like everything is okay? I mean, it's something we bitch about at least once a week. You'd think that we would have done something about it by now.

Our democracy is very flawed, it's the only system in which 51% of the population can strip the other 49% of all their rights.
Thanks to our inbred, redneck, southern friends, I'm in the 49% category and have no say or control over what the government does.

Dr. Silence
09-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Have you ever noticed that when we talk about the government or another company we say "they", or "them"? Why don't we just say "we"? Are we really that divided?

Anyway I'm off to bed. Hopefully we'll have some interesting replies by the time the sun comes back up.

Last time I checked, civilians didn’t have any jurisdiction when it came to government matters other then voting, paying taxes and forming unions and protests and informing media to provide ‘the peoples’ view. The government ,“they” and us are very much divided.

gamepin126
09-03-2006, 02:55 PM
"They" is just a simple way of differentiating one from another.

Corporate vs. small-business

government vs local government

blacks vs whites vs yellows vs reds vs browns

noobs vs non-noobs

Republican vs Democrat

You can use "They/them" in all of those. We're not dividing anything by saying that, we are simply differentiating between the two.