PDA

View Full Version : Updater...

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
10-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok my idea is to create an updater for programs so u dont have to keep checking for new ones and such. like...
have a .ini file with the current version of the hack and then download an ini file from a specified address and check the version, if it is higher than download the hack delete the old one rename the new one as the old one and there....

Duke
10-23-2004, 03:09 PM
You could do that yourself if you wanted to, but the checking for new version would be a little hard. If it was public, someone would most likely abuse it in a malicious way. Like Winamp just had to update because it had a feature that whenever you finished dowloading a new skin, it automaticly opened Winamp and ran it. Somebody made a malicious hack that used that to run some HTML exploit. Now, tada, Winamp jumped to version 5.05.

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
10-23-2004, 03:12 PM
or did they....
>>
<<

Poprocks
10-23-2004, 03:16 PM
who knows, maby they did maby they didnt, the world may never know.

Duke
10-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Or you could just go to the site and read it there.
Winamp (www.winamp.com)

OverFlow636
10-23-2004, 07:14 PM
i made an auto updater :) just no release yet

Duke
10-24-2004, 10:45 AM
For what program? Extended?

OverFlow636
10-24-2004, 02:15 PM
any that want to use it

el-camino-ss
10-25-2004, 03:06 PM
sure I would

BloodyBlade
10-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Well could you possibly give it the URL of your file, then it check to see if the file you have is the same by re-downloading it and seeing if its identical. Then if it is not, download it, delete older one, rename same as older one. Doesn't seem to hard unless the file URL changes. Also, how hard is it to check a site?

Duke
10-26-2004, 12:34 PM
The reason I thought it would be hard is because hacks change. You would need to find a site that would support your updater. Many sites dont allow direct linking of the files, and some you would have to refind the file on the site if it moved around. Or if it changed name. If someone does make it, they should host the files to be updated too, so the central user just updates the site, and all the other users computers are updated. But security issues are yet again at risk. If someone were to hack the site and make a malicious (computer-attack) hack and have everyone update to it, then their computers would install and run it without having a chance to do something about it.

OverFlow636
10-27-2004, 02:14 AM
currently i have it setup on a server that has no problem with it, i use php to check remote md5hash of the version the server has, and it compares it to a hash the client sent in, if different server lets person update, if same server shows a readme or something
it makes inhales hacks all have a .hax ext and you can double click them to install them, wich puts them in the starcraft plugin directory and checks for updates
hao is the ext where the hacks are still in the plugins folder but they can be turned off so that inhale dont load them, the ext can be changed from my updateer it self

people update the server copy by loging in to the updater program and uploading the newest copy they have, i would only give logins to the author of the hacks so theres no chance of bad plugins

SubZero
10-27-2004, 05:13 AM
whoo hoo! is this a function of inhalevn(or inhalevm, i can't remember the spelling.. lol)?

OverFlow636
10-27-2004, 07:04 PM
nah this is a standalone exe, im too lazy to code winsock shit in asm :)

it works with inhale tho in that it will update it also