PDA

View Full Version : Help me with one of Math challenge problems.

punture
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Question:
"A bathtub, with two taps, can be filled in 20 minutes using only the cold water tap. It can be fille din 30 minutes using only the hot water tap. It takes 24 minutes to drain the full tub. Starting with an empty tub and the drain plug in place, the cold water is turned on. Five minutes later the hot water is turned on, and five minutes after that the drain plug is removed. How many additional minutes, after the plug is removed, would it take to fill the tub "

Anyone can help me with this?

llafnwod
01-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Create an imaginary capacity for the tub, find the rates of change, and then use some ****ing algebra.

JLTucker
01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Sorry, but I have never known a bathtub that spits out more water depending on whether hot or cold water is used.

Sinz
01-11-2006, 09:24 PM
2 minutes

but seriously why do people ask here for help?
all the get is useless info

Killingmachine
01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry, but I have never known a bathtub that spits out more water depending on whether hot or cold water is used.
me neither:no:

punture
01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
2 minutes

but seriously why do people ask here for help?
all the get is useless info
wrong

I figured it out...
10/20 + 5/30 + x/20 + x/30 - x/24 = 1

x = 8

@Evil_Sinz : Because I know that some people here is intelligent enough to answer this question. Unlike you.

Sinz
01-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Because I know that some people here are intelligent enough to answer this question. Unlike you.

8 mins 2 whats the diffrence i was close

punture
01-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Because I know that some people here are intelligent enough to answer this question. Unlike you.

8 mins 2 whats the diffrence i was close
Yes and you will always live your life getting close to your goal, yet never reaching it.

Sinz
01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
My goal in life O.o what is my goal in life i dont got goals i live in the moment why not were going to die anyway whats there to look forward to?

BloodyBlade
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry, but I have never known a bathtub that spits out more water depending on whether hot or cold water is used.Hot water goes through your water heater so that could either slow it down or make it gain more pressure.
My goal in life O.o what is my goal in life i dont got goals i live in the moment why not were going to die anyway whats there to look forward to?Why would you live like that, with the mentality that 'we are going to die anyways so why do anying'? That doesn't work at all. The human race would be nowhere if everyone thought like that.

EyeOfFire
01-12-2006, 02:27 AM
We could already argue that it is nowhere. Or that it's a shadow of what it could've been... Ah f*ck it, I'm in no mood for philosophy.

JLTucker
01-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Hot water goes through your water heater so that could either slow it down or make it gain more pressure.
I did not know that. Thanks, bloody.

icefrogie
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
well if the person that bathes in the tub has hairit could slow down the draining of the tub though.
never live your hole life in spiteof the moment because u could regret sumthing that u could have done but didnt cause u wernt prepared.
another thing. that tub sucks. mine fills in 10 mins and it's 24gal.hehehehehehehe

Fang325
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
you cannot spell :no:

Mookster
01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
We could already argue that it is nowhere. Or that it's a shadow of what it could've been... Ah f*ck it, I'm in no mood for philosophy.
Success is only a matter of perspective anyway.
What does a degree and anthropology mean to a Bear?
Nothing. Because bears are completely nieve to our concept of success.
We are only as successful as we perceive ourselves to be. Whether or not that makes something factual is beyond me.. but I'd argue no.
There is our theoretical perception of something, and then there may or may not be a factual existance of something.
(ie: The monitor in front of you is there as you see it, but you have no way of proving that it is in fact there. From your perspective you can see it, feel it, manipulate it. But those things exist only in your mind, which you have no control or say over. You could be sitting in a padded room with a straight jacket on right now, for all you know.

Heh. I'm always in the mood for a little philosophy.

EyeOfFire
01-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Jesus, I just said I wasn't in the mood. Now my brain hurts...