PDA

View Full Version : Use of Debugging

llafnwod
09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
It is time to take the plunge. Whether I emerge or drown is entirely dependant on the mercy of the people on this site...

I'm doomed.

Ok, here is the question. I've been having fun with OllyDbg for a while now. However, I need to know what I can do with it. Am I supposed to use the code I find in SC to make ASM scripts (and if so, is it impossible then to make good hacks with C++?)? Or what? Though I am attempting to learn by asking this, I am also testing the upper limits on how many times "newb" or one of it's variants can appear in a single thread.

Fish Beans
09-29-2004, 06:04 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? I can try to help you if you give me more information. C++ isn't the easiest thing to begin making a hack for, but I may be able to help you get started.

Duke
09-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I think he wants to know what you can use a debugger for. It shows what commands SC makes to its memory, and by using this you can change what those commands do. Tutorial uses it here. (http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615)

Fish Beans
09-29-2004, 01:54 PM
That's just basic debugging, using debuggers you can do tons of stuff, including change and remove calls to functions, alter the functions themselves and locate a dynamic address without researching it.

Perma
09-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Debuggers are of course, essential to any adamant gamehacker. You wouldn't be able to do much without one.

llafnwod
09-29-2004, 05:45 PM
That's just basic debugging, using debuggers you can do tons of stuff, including change and remove calls to functions, alter the functions themselves and locate a dynamic address without researching it.So the debugger is used to see the SC calls so you can make stuff in ASM? Hmm.
BTW, thanks for offering to help with C++. Anything you can teach me is immensly appreciated.

Perma
09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
The debugger isn't just to see "Starcraft calls", I'm not sure exactly what Fishy intended to mean by that. There is a lot more to Starcraft game code than calls. I think he meant that changing the destinations and functionality of certain calls was one of the things you can do with a debugger.

bulk_4me
09-30-2004, 08:39 AM
I fail to understand what you are trying to prove with your posts Dominyx.

Fish Beans
09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
The debugger isn't just to see "Starcraft calls", I'm not sure exactly what Fishy intended to mean by that.
Care to make a complete list of what can be accomplished with a debugger then?

Duke
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
It would be a very good idea for a tutorial. The site needs some more.

Fish Beans
09-30-2004, 03:19 PM
That would be along the lines of a basic asm debugging tutorial, which abound all over the net. I'm too lazy to write one myself.

Perma
09-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Care to make a complete list of what can be accomplished with a debugger then?

:eek: You actually think I'm going to spend hours coming up with a list of actions you can perform with a debugger that would probably be longer than is allowed by this forum?

Instead, I'll list you some of the things that a debugger can accomplish other than "finding SC calls".

Trace back from known functions to useful ID's, pointers to Windows API functions, and other areas of the game code that can be used to create your own hacks
Locate and make use of caves
Set breaks on certain functions in order to help with the correction of game crashes and exploits
Allow you to hook game functions such as sendto() using code injection to write useful utilities (packet senders, etc.)
Search game memory for decimal values as well as API references

The above is a pretty short list of possible things you can do with a debugger.

I fail to understand what you are trying to prove with your posts Dominyx.

Trying to prove? Um, what would I need to prove? :rolleyes: I fail to understand why you would bother posting something like that.

llafnwod
09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm not asking about the kind of things you can do with a debugger, though your help with that is appreciated. I am asking how the information obtained through debugging can be used. My point is that a hack can't be instruction on what to do with OllyDbg.

Fish Beans
10-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Instead, I'll list you some of the things that a debugger can accomplish other than "finding SC calls".
You keep quoting that as if I suggested debuggers only worked with Starcraft. If you'll read my posts, you'll see that I've never even used the word Starcraft in this thread. I listed what was pertinent to his question, since he's new to hacking, I thought all he would be interested in was the easy stuff, there's no need to bombard him with information.

llafnwod
10-03-2004, 12:39 PM
You keep quoting that as if I suggested debuggers only worked with Starcraft. If you'll read my posts, you'll see that I've never even used the word Starcraft in this thread. I listed what was pertinent to his question, since he's new to hacking, I thought all he would be interested in was the easy stuff, there's no need to bombard him with information.Correct. Until I learn more about the easy stuff, there isn't a lot more I can do. I'm going to re-ask my question, since it was never really answered. Let's say you do a bunch of cool stuff in OllyDbg. What do you do with it? A hack can't be instructions with OllyDbg.
EDIT: Nevermind. I've got it. But it's hard to make hacks without ASM...

Perma
10-03-2004, 04:11 PM

TheTempest
10-04-2004, 02:07 PM
ok.

and the point of that post was??? If you had something to say, come out and say it. You seem to be quite knowledgeable, so please, share your thoughts on the subject matter.

llafnwod
10-04-2004, 02:45 PM
He had nothing to say. I believe it was a comment (per say) on my noobishness, which I have never attempted to keep secret. He believes that him being the better hacker gives him the special ability to look down upon me. "You sicken me, I need say nothing but ...."

Palomino
10-04-2004, 04:47 PM
It's actually quite easy to write hacks without using (macro)asm, if that's what you were saying in your previous post.

llafnwod
10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
It's actually quite easy to write hacks without using (macro)asm, if that's what you were saying in your previous post.Heh, I'm still swimming around in your base hook, trying to find out how different things were done. BTW, do you need MS Developer Studio to compile it? Some of the files aren't the usual .h and .cpp.

Palomino
10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Yes, I used VC++ 6.0, trying to compile in a different compiler will usually result in missing libraries/header files. The other files you speak of are probably the intellsense database/debug symbols, etc.