PDA

View Full Version : Help with Starcraft modding

Mr_Me_II
12-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Ok, I'm not a total newb when it comes to modding.:)

I'm familiar with: (to this degree)

Arsenal III (fairly advance)
WinMPQ (moderate)
tblPad (pretty easy)
MPQDraft (Easy)
MPQ Compactor (Super Easy)
RetroGRP (in progress)

Few other things...some minor grp editing and whatnot, I'm experimenting with grp's currently

My questions are:

What is the best of the best for adding/editing Icons in game (new buildable units for example) ICEE has no "copy paste' function, its annoying
Where can I find/edit the 'Wireframe' image bottom middle when 1 unit is selected. (is that in the mpq somwhere?, if so, what directory?)
How would I change the Creep/Psi radius for pylon/creep colony/hatchery
I've heard it's impossible without a total decompile, but is there a way to change the Map limit from 1650~1700 to...whatever?
I havn't really looked, but what do I use to creat complete new units, rather, what program should be used to create a animated GRP?Thats all I can think of for now. If you can answer any one of those, please let me know.

This is my first post, hopefully not my last :)

Thanks,
-Mr_Me_II

~=HyDrO=~
12-27-2005, 12:40 AM
What is the best of the best for adding/editing Icons in game (new buildable units for example) ICEE has no "copy paste' function, its annoying
Where can I find/edit the 'Wireframe' image bottom middle when 1 unit is selected. (is that in the mpq somwhere?, if so, what directory?)
I've heard it's impossible without a total decompile, but is there a way to change the Map limit from 1650~1700 to...whatever?
I havn't really looked, but what do I use to creat complete new units, rather, what program should be used to create a animated GRP?Answers:

it is hard to add things to starcraft so its best to use buttons that have already been inputted. if u find a way to make and add buttons into starcraft, plz tell me.
I am not sure about this 1, and i bet it is simple dat editing, prolly an unknown, but im sure its a data file. have a go at checking out the dat file: units.dat from arsenal 0, and messing around with the unknowns....
i havnt really thought of this but it would be pretty kool to see it done, i bet it is either icecc editing, or hardcoded, its most likely hardcoded but u can try to edit some unknowns of the pylon... in different editors: ice, dat... it would be kewl to see a nexus giving off a protoss energy field :D
this i know is hardcoded, but why would u want to modify it anyway? this is to decrease lag in the game.... lol, anyway u would do this by map editing, not modding
as far as i know, its impossible.anything u dont understand? no? ok, im going to check out some unknowns for the pylon that others dont have in dats :P cya

gamepin126
12-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Nice question format. +rep.

~=HyDrO=~
12-27-2005, 07:30 AM
o ya, learn memgraft

ADDITION:

for number 1, i think i got a way to add it.... if u can find the weapon icons grp's, then its possible.
simply make a new grp, just 1 pic, and add it to the right mpq, or a custom 1, then change sumthings weapon to it through dat editiong : arsenal zero.

~=HyDrO=~
12-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Edit: unit\wirefram\tranwire.grp (wireframes)

Soz but the edit button isnt there, so i had to double-post

Zaund
12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
What is the best of the best for adding/editing Icons in game (new buildable units for example) ICEE has no "copy paste' function, its annoying?
Search WinMPQ for the prefix "game" and look for icon.

Again search WinMPQ for "tunitwire"

campaigncreations.org :)

If you mean units then no, but you can use a map editor like Starforge.

I havn't really looked, but what do I use to creat complete new units, rather, what program should be used to create a animated GRP?
Making totaly new units was only possible in 1.07. But you can take power up's like a map revealer and rewrite the ICECC and add animations, if you have about 3 weeks to learn ICECC then another monthe to write just the scripts and another month after that to make the animations.

Mr_Me_II
01-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Sorry for the ub3r late reply I have been really busy.
Thanks for the replies all, appreciated. I have ICEE and I'll start learning how to use it in the near future.

I had an interesting idea for an ub3r mod...

Anyone here ever played RA2 (Red-Alert 2)? I started playin around with it couple days ago, playing, not modding.

My only problem with the game is its hard to attack. Unless I'm retarded and just dont know the hotkey, its like SC, but you left-click to move...and theres no attack command. So when you attack, if you dont pay attention all your **** just runs into the base, stops, then shoots, rather then shoot what they see.
I like being able to send an army and forget.

You already know where I'm heading with this. Change everything in SC. Change all the menus, techtrees, unit sprites, unit properties, everything.

How hard would it be? Who wants to take a whack at it? Cmon, lets get a crew together and make this happen!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or take the easier way out and mod RA2 to have an attack command, but I'm sure somthing like that would be hard-coded into the game...

Sinz
01-06-2006, 01:26 AM
everything changeable it just get more complex from item to item

~=HyDrO=~
01-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Sorry for the ub3r late reply I have been really busy.
Thanks for the replies all, appreciated. I have ICEE and I'll start learning how to use it in the near future.

I had an interesting idea for an ub3r mod...

Anyone here ever played RA2 (Red-Alert 2)? I started playin around with it couple days ago, playing, not modding.

My only problem with the game is its hard to attack. Unless I'm retarded and just dont know the hotkey, its like SC, but you left-click to move...and theres no attack command. So when you attack, if you dont pay attention all your **** just runs into the base, stops, then shoots, rather then shoot what they see.
I like being able to send an army and forget.

You already know where I'm heading with this. Change everything in SC. Change all the menus, techtrees, unit sprites, unit properties, everything.

How hard would it be? Who wants to take a whack at it? Cmon, lets get a crew together and make this happen!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or take the easier way out and mod RA2 to have an attack command, but I'm sure somthing like that would be hard-coded into the game...
LOLOLOLOL:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:: lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

use attack move, it should be on the other side of the mouse lol....
if it aint hit the attack icon, and then click in the middle of their base

Mr_Me_II
01-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Well yeah, thats starcraft, i know that much

Right click in ra2 doesn't do anything i dont think, you left click to select then left click to move...the left click is like right clicking in sc, units wont attack anything, just move to where you clicked, then stop, then maybe they attack (if you have them in defend mode they wont attack buildings by themselves)