PDA

View Full Version : PHP, a toy language?

Gantznaught
12-13-2005, 07:37 PM
A new PHP coders experience:
Day 1: This is like Perl just... without all the cool stuff :\
Day 2: Actually, it's not too bad. For web work it's actually very occasionally easier to use than Perl, and has less overhead (except for mod_perl, but that's a bitch)
Day 3: I miss all Perl's quote operators. Escaping things is a bitch :(
Day 4: It is becoming apparent that a lot of areas of PHP had little thought put into them. Functions behave inconsistently with each other, 'features' such as magic quotes are inconsistant, useless and annoying to real programmers, and in some cases cannot be turned off. Certain design decisions are seriously restricting me here...
Day 5: mysql_* sucks compared to DBI
Day 6: Argh. Random bugs in the interpreter and runtime environment. Argh!
Day 7: Programmer ports all the really heavy stuff to Perl and no longer has problems. Leaves all the super light web interface stuff in PHP.

-187-
12-13-2005, 07:46 PM
what???

gamepin126
12-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Your life is a toy.

Esqualo
12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
sex toy?

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
12-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Anal beads.

DA(
12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Dildos. What is this about? A flame of php? PHP is supposedly faster than pearl and python.

Gantznaught
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Dildos. What is this about? A flame of php? PHP is supposedly faster than pearl and python.

If you are saying its performance is fast, PHP and mod_perl perform roughly the same.

If you are saying you can quickly throw together a little app that grabs values out of a database and shows them on a page, sure, that's what a toy language is good for. For real work, you still want a real language.

perl is king of monster script languages everyone knows it
and python is an evil bastard child

kds
12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
He was obviously trying to start up a discussion until the first 4 replies to this thread were spam.

I've worked a lot with PHP but not Perl. So I don't know what Perl is like. From your point of view, it seems a lot better than PHP.

gamepin126
12-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I learn languages based upon popularity. Whatever everyone is using at the moment, for that specific job, I will learn the language. PHP is pretty fun, I've had no reason to learn Perl. I love scripting languages though.

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Ive heard from many that Perl is ****.

Dyndrilliac
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
The only languages I would consider using for web dev are Python, ASP, or PHP.

Evil Cartman
12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I would love to learn PhP. But I need an e-Book or tut for it lol

lpxxfaintxx
12-14-2005, 04:19 AM
I tried learning PHP but I quit, since it was so god damn confusing.

kds
12-14-2005, 04:53 AM
You must be a complete moron then.

gamepin126
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
PHP is incredibly easy to learn. The hard part is learning all the little tips 'n' tricks of it. Making bloated code, secksifully small. That's the only hard part.

Gantznaught
12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Bah, I use php AND perl every day. And Java.

Java's great if you're writing a huge app. If you're writing a three-liner, there's nothing like taking 15 damn minutes turning it into a class and filling in all the other crap to make it a program.

Perl's great for quick and dirty stuff but DBI is a nightmare. I guess when you try to have a single interface to every database possible, it has to be the lowest common denominator. At least with the mysql_* (or in my case, pg_*, though this could be a thread of its own) I get to use the full power of my chosen database. DBI can't even do large data blobs properly.

If I'm not using a database, its embperl all the way. All the inline code goodness of PHP, but with perl as the language.

kds
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
I love PHP. It goes great with SQL and HTML to make a nice website. Like gamepin said, it's fairly easy to understand also.
I'm just starting Java in school, and it seems like a pain in the ass to write all the classes and **** just to make a program that displays "Hello World" like my teacher wants us to do.

Megaz
12-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I've been learning Java for a full semester and I'm hating it. We started out with some stupid stuff like Karel J. Robot (a basic robot simulator). Then we worked on drawing with Java. The classes got me confused, and since I hate Algebra it was an even worse pain. But then once we got out of Drawing I was fine. Writing "Hello World" doesn't take very long. All you need is a basic printline command. All in all, java is confusing to me. But i manage.

Dyndrilliac
12-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Java has it's uses, but most of the time C or C++ is just an obviously better choice. Java's only true purpose is an efficient, cross platform application or some nifty web applets.

zelnaga
12-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Day 6: Argh. Random bugs in the interpreter and runtime environment. Argh!
For some reason, I have a hard time believing that someone whose only been doing PHP programming for six days has found bonafide bugs. Perhaps, to dispell any doubts, you could post the code you believe demonstrates these bugs and post which version of PHP you're running?

Belphegor
12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I find PHP and ASP to be my preferred web based languages. They are fairly simple to understand, easy to work with, and have great support when it comes to needing help.

As for Java, even though it was meant to replace C++, it much more resembles Objective-C. Neither of the three languages do I have much knowledge in.