PDA

View Full Version : Rules Request

Dyndrilliac
12-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I propose an ammendment to the rules, as follows (Note that this is just a suggestion from someone who reads the forums).

Rule #) No quoting entire posts unless you have a good reason for doing so (Note: the staff member who is moderating you has full discretion when it comes to determining if your reason is a 'good reason').

Should this rule be broken, I propose that the punishment be a lengthy mod preview. This action is a sign of extreme spam, as most of the people that do this often or at all post almost nothing along with the quote and are notorious spammers that contribute nothing of worth or value to the BWH community.

Here are 4 examples of people doing this, just from this evening, just to emphasize the nature of this evergrowing problem.

http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208686&postcount=7
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208678&postcount=6
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208573&postcount=16
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208510&postcount=13

Akazukin
12-10-2005, 09:10 PM
This is a reply from a busybody.

To quote an entire paragraph does not deserve a mod preview. It could have cause discomfort for users where they have to re-read everything. However, I trust that nobody will read everything again.

Should a mod preview be given, the moderators generally have more jobs to do, and the users who are given a preview will feel that their posts are delayed, their ideas and comments are not respected. Wont this cause more discomfort to both mods and users? You want this to happen so that you can have a comfortable forum experience, wont it be selfish?

I suggest that we PM the users who quote an entire paragraph or let them know that its annoying by replying on the same threads. Sometimes we can solve the problems without bringing more works for the mods. They are users too.

Fallen
12-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I hate people who just quote somebody else and don't type anything else. And their whole post is just the post before but it a quote box.

gamepin126
12-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Otaku is the master of this. Ban him. jk <3

Stewie
12-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I'm with Aka. PM the user doing it, and if he keeps on doing it, I'd then suggest a mod preview.

gamepin126
12-10-2005, 09:50 PM
When users read the rules, that's their warning. If they break them, immediate discipline.

Dyndrilliac
12-10-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm all for finding alternate ways to get rid of this problem without resorting to mod preview. However, this trait is common among spammers, and is a sign of more spamming.

I find spamming for most people is like a heroine addiction. They get clean, they start using. They get clean, they start using. It's an impulse. It's a self-destructive never ending spiral.

And, the reason that I suggested a lengthy mod preview is so the mods actually have LESS work to do. If the repeat offenders and major spammers get a lengthy mod preview, it means they wont be back to cause more work for mods until the mod preview expires.

I personally have no objection to spammers thinking their ideas and thoughts are not respected, because they aren't to me.

Otaku
12-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Otaku is the master of this. Ban him. jk <3

Jaja :wub:

xFactur
12-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I propose an ammendment to the rules, as follows (Note that this is just a suggestion from someone who reads the forums).

Rule #) No quoting entire posts unless you have a good reason for doing so (Note: the staff member who is moderating you has full discretion when it comes to determining if your reason is a 'good reason').

Should this rule be broken, I propose that the punishment be a lengthy mod preview. This action is a sign of extreme spam, as most of the people that do this often or at all post almost nothing along with the quote and are notorious spammers that contribute nothing of worth or value to the BWH community.

Here are 4 examples of people doing this, just from this evening, just to emphasize the nature of this evergrowing problem.

http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208686&postcount=7
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208678&postcount=6
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208573&postcount=16
http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208510&postcount=13
I've got a better idea! :w00t:

Use that Report Bad Post icon and don't whine about moderation of quotes.

Stewie
12-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, you can give them warnings for doing it. Or better yet, give them a long mod preview. Like gamepin said, the user who reads the rule has a warning, and whoever breaks it should be punished.

Dyndrilliac
12-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Use that Report Bad Post icon and don't whine about moderation of quotes.That doesn't work. You know why?

ahh man,i forgot there was a report button...in that case hafe of bwhacks people will be reported...No. I'm one of the more active staff members and I filter all Bad Posts e-mails to a folder which I empty daily. I'll just keep an eye on it the old-fashioned way.Also, I was under the impression that it is the staff's job to enforce rules, not the user's. Furthermore, to sit there and report all the posts that need to be removed would be impractical. If the Staff would delete the spam and ban spammers the problem would be eliminated in a matter of days. However, for the few users patient enough to sift through ever individual post, to report them all would take months. Not to mention, you aren't guarenteed that action will be taken or when it will be taken if at all.

All of you who's answer is simply "Stop bitching" are doomed to be failures in life, because you aren't willing to find solutions to problems. It's sad and pathetic.

Uniquely_Defined
12-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes Dyndrilliac, this is a spam filled hell-hole. And although your suggestion was an honorable one, religion is faster to accept and change new rules when compared with bwhacks. :-/

Sinz
12-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I propose an ammendment to the rules not like im going to be listned to tho

1-No neo-trolling Posting or interacting with the community with the intent of degrading the boards for others is seen as neo trolling. This can include exploiting loopholes in rules, deliberately and publically trying to show members of staff up, and so on. This can also include actions off site, such as aiming or msning a lot of people to deride how the boards are run, making numerous and highly unproductive attacks against the boards on journals, and so forth.

3-)If a mod closes a thread, or tells you to quit doing something, then please listen to them. Mods are there to help control this forum, and stop it being degraded. While what they ask for may not make sense to you, it will make sense to everyone else who want what's best for the forum. If you are unhappy with a mod, then do not make a public protest thread, but PM an admin with the complaint and they will deal with it if necessary.

dont use the excuse that 'it's not in the rules so therefore I have not broken the rules'

banana_sam
12-13-2005, 04:59 PM
This really isn't worth whining about Dyn. It all comes down to common sense. If a moderator sees someone directly quote an excessively lengthy post, I trust that he'll take action and edit it down. I doubt that any severe punishment system would solve anything.

As much as you think it may be a massive issue, I personally see nothing out-of-line in the threads you use as examples. So what if someone quotes an entire two paragraph post? It's not as if summarizing five sentences into three is going to save much bandwith, and spam isn't as big of a problem as it used to be.

Greek
12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
must reasist quoting his post...

DA(
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't see why quoting a small bit of text would piss you off so much.

p_025
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Sometimes the posts they quote are several paragraphs long. Check out the thread for the new inHale to see for yourself...

Also, did anyone just notice that xFactur did just what this whole thread is against? Quoting that whole post, entirely unnecessarily and with a short reply.

Greek
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Sometimes the posts they quote are several paragraphs long. Check out the thread for the new inHale to see for yourself...

Also, did anyone just notice that xFactur did just what this whole thread is against? Quoting that whole post, entirely unnecessarily and with a short reply.
I'm pretty sure that was on purpose:P

p_025
12-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Kinda like that, huh? lol

Well another thing they should do is quote only the part of the post they're replying to. That would probably shorten the quoting so they can just cut to the chase. You could have just quoted my last paragraph. :P