PDA

View Full Version : Windows Application in C++

BloodyBlade
09-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Ive been learning C++ for almost a month and haven't come across any instruction on how to make a windows application. All that I have made are console applications. I was just wondering how hard it is to make a windows application, and how much do I need to know before I begin creating these.

dt
09-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Simply use .NET (you need Visual Studio .NET)

YonderKnight
09-19-2004, 04:00 PM
http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/tut3.html
That shows you how to make a simple window in mASM, I guess you can follow the same steps in C++ because all you need are the API calls.(if that's what you're asking)

Dragan
09-19-2004, 04:09 PM
LOL their actually teaching me how to use C++ LOL, wow finnaly highskool teaches me sumthin usefull! lol (class is "Computer Programing") lol but i havent been payin attention n feel asleep a couple of times! lol :)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Dragan\\sHackSIgn.jpg

BloodyBlade
09-19-2004, 04:12 PM
lolz0rs that so funny dragan your post is teh completely on topic omg you fall allsleep in skool too lolz thats so funny we all caer so much about how intrestin yuo skool dayz0rs are LOLZ!!!1111

llafnwod
09-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Ive been learning C++ for almost a month and haven't come across any instruction on how to make a windows application. All that I have made are console applications. I was just wondering how hard it is to make a windows application, and how much do I need to know before I begin creating these.Weren't you studying out of the C++Builder manual for a while? If you get the program, you can make really good Win32 apps really quick.

BloodyBlade
09-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I wasn't using the C++Builder manual. When did I say this?

xXRhYnAdOnXx
09-19-2004, 04:17 PM
yeah I dont know how to make a Windows Program either
I have been learning C++ for about two months, and also have only made Console Programs. Somebody tell us!

Dragan
09-19-2004, 04:21 PM
lol bloddyblade i am sooo happy u care about my skool work! lol :|

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Dragan\\sHackSIgn.jpg

nickolay
09-19-2004, 05:26 PM
So how is a console application not a "windows" application?

BloodyBlade
09-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Nickolay do you seriously not know what I mean, or must I explain?

c0ke
09-20-2004, 11:02 AM
He knows what you mean. But it's your mistake in not explaning what you ment. They're all windows applications, but you want one with a Dialog.

llafnwod
09-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Isn't that just called an Win32 application?
BloodyBlade, you were reading it, remember the one with Chapters as Days, teach yourself in 21 days?

BloodyBlade
09-20-2004, 03:04 PM
I was(and still am) reading Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days which is a VERY discouraging title, but its all I could get.

llafnwod
09-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Ah. Different books. Never mind them. BTW, if you save up the cash, get C++, The Complete Reference. It's a complete reference to C++. Ahem. Right.

BloodyBlade
09-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I didn't buy the book im reading. Im too much of a cheap mother fucker. I borrowed it from a friend that is currently in florida on vacation.

llafnwod
09-20-2004, 03:28 PM
I didn't buy the book im reading. Im too much of a cheap mother fucker. I borrowed it from a friend that is currently in florida on vacation.I know you borrowed it. I said if you save up the extra cash and don't feel like spending it on anything else at the time.

Fish Beans
09-23-2004, 06:55 PM
MFC makes quick and easy applications with a nice GUI, it's probably your best option as a beginner in C++. I personally don't see what's so horrible about console apps.

IversonAli3
10-17-2004, 06:54 AM
LOL their actually teaching me how to use C++ LOL, wow finnaly highskool teaches me sumthin usefull! lol (class is "Computer Programing") lol but i havent been payin attention n feel asleep a couple of times! lol :)

#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
cout<<"Fuck You Whore"<<endl;

return(0);
}

BloodyBlade
10-17-2004, 11:12 AM
What the fuck was that? How fucking offtopic. Can a mod lock this. I allready know where and how to get information on WinAPI.

HelplessNewbie
10-17-2004, 02:00 PM
As an overthought, if you are using API for pure API sake, learn Java.

TheTempest
10-17-2004, 05:09 PM
NO NO NO

JAVA BAD!!!

java has no real point, except internet apps, and multiplatform. If thats your game, java's your tool, but please, dont expect to make any money in any other field, when you find it's 700k just to get a window to appear, that will change your mind...

besides that, it's slow as shit.

if you want i can post a simple template of a windows app. There are few things you should understand about windows programming. It's linear, but it's really event driven. IE. Message pump. It's a loop that is continualy executed that takes input from keyboard and mouse, it uses a switch to determine what action should be taken.

2nd) If you dont know the windows naming system of variables here it is:

szVarName = char *
iVarName = Signed int
dwVarName = DWORD (unsigned long)

3rd) I hope you know all about pointers =)

google for MSDN simple windows c++ application.

as i said, if you come up empty handed, i'll post my template source.

bulk_4me
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Java PWNS!!

http://kano.net/javabench/

Perma
10-17-2004, 09:39 PM
NO NO NO

JAVA BAD!!!

java has no real point, except internet apps, and multiplatform. If thats your game, java's your tool, but please, dont expect to make any money in any other field, when you find it's 700k just to get a window to appear, that will change your mind...

besides that, it's slow as shit

LOL! Explain to me how Java is "slow as shit"? It's an extremely useful programming language that you can use and not have anything to do with the internet at all. People make the mistake of always associating Java with web languages, but it's not. It can be used for a wide variety of things, and is actually surprisingly efficient, speed-wise.

You show me proof that it's "slow as shit".

Fish Beans
10-18-2004, 03:50 AM
Doesn't it have to be interpreted by the computer running it before it can be used, thus greatly increasing the load times?

Perma
10-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Yes, but then again, all programming languages must be interpreted by a computer one way or another. Java simply has a few extra steps. It's a small price to pay for an easy, flexibe language.

Of course, if you're more into RAD, I doubt you'll enjoy Java much. :flop:

Fish Beans
10-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Those "few extra steps" add up extremely quickly if your application is more than a few magabytes.

TheTempest
10-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Those "few extra steps" add up extremely quickly if your application is more than a few magabytes
yup

and btw, why dont you benchmark a database application in c++ vs java and you tell me what "slow as shit" means to you. Java is great for a small nitch in programming needs. However, it's generaly a poor wepond of choice for a general application.

Perma
10-18-2004, 01:27 PM
It does depend on the task that you want to accomplish. The performance differences on a basic program would be minimal, to the point where it would be very much your personal preference as to which would be the better language. Using Java to create some massive program wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, because you could accomplish the same thing more efficiently and far quicker (in terms of development) on a platform like VB.

Fish Beans
10-18-2004, 01:44 PM
VB is also not a good choice for what is already going to be a large application. Its filesizes are much, much, much larger than with virtually any other language. C++ is the industry standard for a reason.

TheTempest
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
VB is also not a good choice for what is already going to be a large application. Its filesizes are much, much, much larger than with virtually any other language. C++ is the industry standard for a reason.
yup, pretty much.