PDA

View Full Version : Weakness of online debate, and how to solve them.

Akazukin
11-30-2005, 07:56 AM
It's fun to read ideas, arguments and attacks made by many users.

However, many topics were not given any proper conclusion. The topics drag and slowly losing their entertainment values. All users feel that their post are better, and a flame occured oftenly. It's also a long drag while waiting for weeks just to assign two teams A and B. In short, if a debate topic is possible online, why not do a quick, stable and entertaining one? I have a few suggestions :

1. Remove all team participation. Whoever has posted will be assigned to team A or B in realtime.

2. There should be a judge to conclude the best debater and the winning team. In this way, debaters can feel paranoid and glory in the end. The judge will remain quiet throughout the debate.

3. Set a quick 1 or 2 day's deadline. If a user miss topic X's debate, he can join topic Y. This ensures new topics daily which leds to more knowledge-battle in a forum.

4. Moderators of debate forums should judge a debater's strength. If they can give critical arguments, or doing a better job to establish their position in a debate, they win grades.

5. Maybe mods can grade the users who have participated from rank A to rank D. Just PM them their grade. "for example, Congrats! you have earn a grade B! - mod of debate forum".

6. Make an invisible list, and vote for 1 - 5 for each argument or post. In the end, the team with most points wins. Assign someone who will remain quiet to be a debate judge.

The new ideas could be applied straight away without any vote or suggestions. Start a new topic, conclude it in 1 or 2 days, and whoever posted will receive a grade. The best debater can probably be given a rep. I believe this is what we want, instead of posting so many ideas and feel like noone cares.

Pharnax
11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Serious problems will occur, as people will certainly question the mods ability to judge who are "winning" an argument.

I don't think this idea will ever work.

Akazukin
11-30-2005, 08:20 AM
I agree with pharnax, but I feel that a mod should do something to earn respect from us. When nobody respect any mods, be it decisions or conclusions, it's as good as none.

Andover[yT]
11-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I feel that a mod should do something to earn respect from us.

such as?

Akazukin
11-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Such as point no.4 and 5 on the first post. : D