PDA

View Full Version : Religion?

EyeOfFire
11-22-2005, 04:04 AM
What is everyone's views on religion here? I've always found this to be a fascinating topic for debate...

I myself am an atheist. I somehow can never bring myself to believe that there is any strict moral code or "right thing to do" or follow. Religion to me just seems so false - it seems like the morals and views of one person displayed to the public. If there is a God, He, or She, or it - would have no personality and no morals. If God created man in his image, then obviously as there are millions of different beliefs and opinions, God could not hold true to one.

dt
11-22-2005, 05:49 AM
I dont think the subject is all that fascinating. I have a quite simple scientific approach to it. I neither have any religious beliefs, nor am I an atheist. I think religion is pretty stupid, because it's mostly wishful thinking without any objective basis you could work with.

han_han
11-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Maybe God is actually not a being. Maybe God exists everywhere and nowhere at once. Maybe he's everything and nothing at the same time.

I do not have time for philosophy right now, so my religion would be considered an atheist religion.

Fallen
11-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't believe in religions. I think religions were made to give others hope and traditions.

Some 'proof' of religions ( Exorcisim Of Emily Rose ), I know I can decline because first of Emily Rose was a very religious girl. She took many language classes, which then disproofs the languages heard when she was possessed<(sp). She had a sickness which, when brought to her religious belief, she acted as if she really was possessed, and also make up the story of when she 'talked' the virgin mother. I believe when your life is too connected with religious belief that everything in life is based off of the bible's gibberish.

On further note, I think that those with religous beliefs are moronic and believe in it just because they are unable to answer some of life's questions. If they who payed more attention in science, they would of known that humans evolved, and were not instantly just poofed by 'God'. There are facts. And they are idiots.

magikmonky
11-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Religion has been and always will be a good topic, allthough it is way overused. Anyway here are my views on religion:
I don't believe in god. I believe in reincarnation. I believe that when you die your spirit stays on Earth but eventually you are born as another being. Most people think when being reincarnated you return as a human, I don't really believe that. I think there is a chance that you return as a human being but it's the same chance as being reincarnated into any other living being.

EyeOfFire
11-23-2005, 11:33 PM
You know magic, that's the most intelligent thing I've every seen you post...

My own belief is that it doesn't matter. The questions that nobody can answer are just that - unanswerable - yet people waste their entire lives following a restricting moral path in the hope that those questions will be answered, or they spend their entire lives trying to puzzle them out - when they've wasted the time that they have here thinking about the next place. I believe that people should simply enjoy life as they want to, what happens afterwards happens afterwards... and there's nothing we can do here to change that.

BloodyBlade
11-23-2005, 11:45 PM
I think religion causes more problems and raises more questions than it answers. It explains the origin of humans and the earth, but that just brings further questions about god and why it was all created. Religion usually brings peace between people of the same beliefs, but causes violent wars when two religions collide. I think we would be better off if religion weren't taken so seriously or never existed whatsoever. I would classify myself as an atheist, but not completely devoid of religious belief.

EyeOfFire
11-24-2005, 01:44 AM
It's worse than that - it doesn't answer anything whatsoever. All it offers is an opinion of an explanation, there is no fact whatsoever. Humans, by definition, are designed to kill each other, steal from each other and betray each other. Religion is only one of the many justifications for it. Making religion non-existant will not change human behaviour at all - it will only get rid of one of the justifications.

banana_sam
11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
I feel similarly to dt on this one. It is impossible to answer questions regarding our existence, so why waste time trying? It may be in our nature to ponder such issues, but we have much better things to spend our mental energies on -- solving AIDS in Africa being one of them.

I have no opinion about God. If he exists, fine... if he doesn't, that's fine too. I try to live my life the best way possible, and I don't need organized religion to dictate morals to me. I know killing is wrong, and I know not to steal. Why bother with religion? Save the great mysteries for when you're dead.

Akazukin
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I've notice the concern of 'Does God Really exist'. It's actually a scientific question. However, religion ask for no proof. It's only asking for your faith.

We have knowledge of science. We want things to be proven. However, even a professor with a strong scientific background will find it impossible to deny religion, and who are we to say religion are false assumptions? Many astronomers, psychologists and scientists practice their religions.

From studies, its proven that there is a higher intelligence that seems to be beyond all powers of man. Those who dont accept it as 'God' will use names like 'Higher Intelligence, the Cosmic'.

It's also about the preservance of our own religion, culture and rituals. For example, roles of Christianity have play a part to maintain an influence for other countries. We can stop talking about religion during our work and practice it only at home.

Should one day God was proven, be it exist or not, humans will then make another step forward. There are no more human-sacrifises as we're no longer beginners, but certainly we're also not at the end of the road yet.

duff_man
11-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Religion is just a way to answer the great mystery of life. If early humans didn't find something to believe in as to where they came from, what would stop you from just killing yourself on the spot? They look to see that there will hopefully be a reward for you when you die, because life would have no meaning for you after you kicked the bucket.

But anyway if there was a God and a heaven and hell I think it would be in humans nature to come back and say man it's ****ed up down here or stay good or else. Because thats the way humans are.

EyeOfFire
11-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Wrong. You think people need religion as a means of staying alive? You do know that the majority of people on this planet are atheist or agnostic?

Religion does not ANSWER anything. It offers an explanation, nothing more. I could sit down today and right an explanation that aliens with rayguns anal probed us all and by definition, it could be a religion.

Banana, you pretty much just restated what I said. Why are there people that devote their entire lives to answering the unanswerable of what happens after that they never live and enjoy the present.

han_han
11-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Wrong. You think people need religion as a means of staying alive? You do know that the majority of people on this planet are atheist or agnostic?

Religion does not ANSWER anything. It offers an explanation, nothing more. I could sit down today and right an explanation that aliens with rayguns anal probed us all and by definition, it could be a religion.

Banana, you pretty much just restated what I said. Why are there people that devote their entire lives to answering the unanswerable of what happens after that they never live and enjoy the present.
I find that religion is an explanation used to control the general population and lower unrest. With the promise of going to heaven for doing good, people will do good. With the promise of going to hell for doing wrong, people won't do wrong. It's very effective, or at least it was before modern times.

duff_man
11-24-2005, 08:05 PM
First of all not everyone is like what they were today. Look at how before people were willing to kill others for their so called "gods" and how this is still going on today. If people in the PAST didn't have religion and they didn't have the fancy science we have today their whole world would turn upside down and there could be mass suicide out of little understanding of what was going on after what they believed in was told to be bullcrap and proved.