PDA

View Full Version : Operating System that you prefer

white[peepz]
09-13-2004, 04:42 PM
I was wondering what operating system that all of you prefer to use...

nickolay
09-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't this be a poll?

white[peepz]
09-13-2004, 07:59 PM
No. I don't know every operating system thats made so far.

Fish Beans
09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
There, I added the big ones. I did not list the different distributions of Linux and BSD simply because there are too many.

Dr. Silence
09-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Windows XP because its just so easy and for somone who doesnt care much for networking and computer hardware and infomation systems its the best.

Valkaire
09-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Dude, you should specify Mac OS Classic or X.

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Done

nickolay
09-14-2004, 08:48 AM
It's sad to see that xp is leading the poll. Shows how stupid forum newbs can get.

Comi
09-14-2004, 09:53 AM
win 98se & XP

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 01:15 PM
"It's so easy to use! Goes great with my AOL."

OverFlow636
09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
xp++;

AgentGOD
09-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Windows XP Professional BABY!

nickolay
09-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Those dumbfucks couldn't even handle jpegs correctly without throwing in a few vulnerabilities.

http://news.google.com/?hl=en&ncl=http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/9662784.htm

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 03:03 PM
What? No votes for me?

Kupo?
09-14-2004, 03:14 PM
It's sad to see that xp is leading the poll. Shows how stupid forum newbs can get.
Great argument... if *nix supported half my hardware with drivers, allowed me half the control of windows through the gui (sorry i dont feel like daily console programming), and ran half my games half as fast as windows, I would consider switchin my main box. It's just not worth it, especially for people that only have 1 computer and already know how to use windows.

And before everyone else gets all antsy with the 'OmG W|nD0wZ n00B' comments, I bet 90%+ of the people that are posting here are running windows on their main box. I use Linux and I'm under no delusion that Windows is a great OS, but it's not a mainstream desktop choice yet. Linux has incredible potential and has proven that open source development can produce amazing things, but there are reasons why Windows still controls 90% of the OS market share.

Valkaire
09-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Could you change my vote from Mac OS Classic to X? X.x

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 06:50 PM
but there are reasons why Windows still controls 90% of the OS market share.
Reason 1. People in general are too stupid to use Linux
Reason 2. People fear change.
Reason 3. Most people have never heard of Linux anyway, and never will.

Could you change my vote from Mac OS Classic to X? X.x

Done.

OverFlow636
09-14-2004, 07:03 PM
fish beans , you better use linux, if not you have no room to badmouth windows in anyway

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
If my games ran on Linux I'd be using that now, but sadly, they don't, so I'm forced to suffer with 2000 Pro.

BloodyBlade
09-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Windows 98. Its all I have got. Once I get a better computer I will install linux and see what I think about it, otherwise ive never even used linux befor. Ive seen one of my friends using it, but that was very brief. Windows is so common that everything is made for it, thats just about the same reason even "advanced" people use AIM instead of a better messaging program. Some information on linux would be greatly apreciated. I allready know its an Open-Source Operating system, but thats about it.

Fish Beans
09-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Linux is the result of several generations of open source operating systems that came from Unix. Linus somebody (forgot his last name) came up with it first, hence the name Linux. The heart of Linux is the command line, you can do anything you want from it, and it is much, much more powerful than the Windows command line. The heavy reliance on the command line makes Linux very user unfriendly, and the GUI usually sucks ass. The fact that it's open source also allows for infinite customizability. You can change anything at all that you want. The open source environment also helps to expose bugs and exploits more rapidly, so Linux is generally more secure than Windows. You can also get Linux distributions that will run on very slow computers, I even had Redhat 9 running on a Celeron 500 mhz with 96 MB of RAM. You will need substantial disk space to install it though if you wish to dual boot, it won't run on NTFS or FAT file systems.

OpticMouse
09-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Linus Travolds.

You can use a bot from cd distro to get the feel, i suggest Knoppix or MandrakeMove.

For starting with Linux, i suggest either RedHat or Mandrake. I use mandrake when i can, I love hte userfriendliness of it, yet still am able to compile what i need, gotta love it.

BloodyBlade
09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Would any version of Linux work on a 32mb ram, 133mhz, 500mb of diskspace(remaining, 2gigs total). Ive got a 4gig harddrive, but im pretty sure it doesn't work. The CLUK CLUNK, CLUK CLUNK, CLUK CLUNK, sound was a big hint. -.-

I wonder if that sound is the "arm thingy" trying to read the harddrive. I was going to open it to see whats inside, since it was broken(opening HD's will usually fuck them up if any type of dust or dirt gets in). When im sure it won't work, ill destroy it and look at it for educational purpoises, and the fun of fucking over a harddrive. When I hook the hard drive up it sees it as primary slave, with 4gb space, and all of the right settings. But once ive got windows started up, it won't recognize it. Hell, it doesn't even know its there.

Fish Beans
09-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Did you set the jumpers?

Valkaire
09-15-2004, 03:13 AM
w00t OS X and it's sexy BSD core!

Fish Beans
09-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Macs are good for nothing but graphical applications.

unimailer1972
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
What? No votes for me?

Thank god, no. That was the worst Windows OS ever, in my opinion.

BloodyBlade
09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Did you set the jumpers?
Yes, I had my 2gb one as master, and my 4gb as slave.

My bios recognized it and was set up. (as far as I know -.-)

Haha, I just realized that I didn't have an OS on there. When I hooked it up by itself nothing hapened, I could hear the HD "clunking", but nothing hapened, my screen went into sleep mode.

If your going to help me PM me instead of posting yet another off-topic post.

l)ark.Raj
09-15-2004, 11:57 AM
ME shouldn't have been an option since it is win9x

Valkaire
09-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Macs are good for nothing but graphical applications.

They'd be far more superior gaming machines if game companies would actually write mac-specific code instead of crappy ports.

Kupo?
09-16-2004, 10:15 AM
They'd be far more superior gaming machines if game companies would actually write mac-specific code instead of crappy ports.Touche. Mac's are powerful machines but they're way too communist.

Valkaire
09-16-2004, 01:33 PM
You mean facist? Communism would be on the opposite end.

white[peepz]
09-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Theres another type of linux OS called linspire...more user friendly and runs most windows applications....
check it out... www.linspire.com

DSG
10-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Winblows XP is HORRIBLE. It is a technician's worst nightmare. Not as bad as ME though. ;) Windows 2000 Professional is the most stable version of the Windows OS. Linux kicks the shit out of all the other OS's however. :D Any true hacker/cracker/slacker uses Windows 2k Pro and/or some flavor of Linux.

Dr. Silence
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Winblows XP is HORRIBLE. It is a technician's worst nightmare. Not as bad as ME though. ;) Windows 2000 Professional is the most stable version of the Windows OS. Linux kicks the shit out of all the other OS's however. :D Any true hacker/cracker/slacker uses Windows 2k Pro and/or some flavor of Linux.

Yes its time for longhorn
I used linux a few times on a friends computer... its just not as good as xp, if it was then it wouldn't be the leading operating system in the world....

K? Pŕo?ćtiόnŹ
10-24-2004, 06:13 AM
the only thing i dont like about linux is that it doesnt have all the stuff windows programming allows like all the api and such...

Fish Beans
10-24-2004, 06:17 AM
Yes its time for longhorn
I used linux a few times on a friends computer... its just not as good as xp, if it was then it wouldn't be the leading operating system in the world....
No, the reason Linux is not mainstream is because idiots can't use it. Linux will also never be mainstream, because there will never be a version as user friendly as Windows.

bulk_4me
10-24-2004, 02:03 PM
IMO the worst version of Windows is Windows Me, unstable, buggy, and with lots of requirements for absolutely nothing new if compared with Windows 98.

Duke
10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
My non-internet computer has ME, works fine. It sometimes crashes when using Artmoney's mem editor, but I blame that on the 166mhz pII. I'm thinking of scrapping it and saving the HD's for all the junk on them...

Fish Beans
10-24-2004, 03:12 PM
me is generally accepted as the worst operating system ever. It got rushed through development due to the lawsuits, which royally fucked it up.

llafnwod
10-24-2004, 04:09 PM
I use Windows XP more because that's what pretty much all games are made for, but my true OS is Linux. Dual-boot rocks.

Duke
10-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Look at this sweet comp :D
Mini-ITX: Box Computer Mod (http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/)
A guy made his computer fit into his OS boxes :lol:
If you dont read the whole thing, just skim through the pages to look at what he did for dual-booting XP and Red Hat :cool:

DeAtH_SkUlL
11-04-2004, 10:54 PM
:P SuP BeAnZ, WaZzUp MaN!

Just wanted to know seeming u said u had aol there, is aol any faster of different to any other dialup internet service provider?

ThX MaN! LaTeRz ^^

the untouchable1
11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
i run both windows 2000 and linux 2.6

DuckDuckGoose
11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
im running the best of the window's.windows98 rules,i want to go with linux but putting games on linux is a bitch and a waste of time.also llafawod,there is a way of putting stuff for xp onto other windows versions,ive got stuff on my computer that i shouldnt have cause there for xp.

unseenkilla_29
11-05-2004, 07:37 PM
is aol any faster of different to any other dialup internet service provider?
ThX MaN! LaTeRz ^^NO! 1. its the most expensive isp. 2. it disconnects way too much and they fuck with the access numbers too much. if you have a choice, dont get dial-up at all, get cable.

DeAtH_SkUlL
11-05-2004, 09:11 PM
yah thanks,

Some ppl must me talking up their asses then bcuz some sc players have been saying aol is faster and they get lower ping than with another provider. Cable is expensive here...i live in aus. Does aol lower ur ping??

Dr. Silence
11-06-2004, 05:00 AM
yah thanks,

Some ppl must me talking up their asses then bcuz some sc players have been saying aol is faster and they get lower ping than with another provider. Cable is expensive here...i live in aus. Does aol lower ur ping??

hahha lol cable expensive in australia? wtf how poor are you, i pay double the price of cable because im on dsl, cable is really cheap, you must be extremly poor lol..

Valkaire
11-06-2004, 06:31 AM
AOL sucks, it has and always will. No it will not lower your ping, those guys were most likely fucking with you.

Fish Beans
11-06-2004, 09:22 AM
yah thanks,

AOL is widely considered the worst ISP in the world. Anybody who is satisfied with AOL is a moron that doesn't know how to use a computer.

llafnwod
11-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Anybody who is satisfied with AOL is a moron Contrary to your repeated statement that America isn't stupid.

Fish Beans
11-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Repeated? I'd like you to show me where I even said that once. My statements were that not only stupid people voted for Bush, and that an equal number of stupid people probably voted for Kerry too. Anyway, stay on topic.

NewOutlook
11-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Linux distros usually include powerful automatic device detection and have drivers for most things, if it doesnt detect your hardware correctly then you most likely have a pretty screwed up hardware setup. Linux runs faster then windows is most all situations, its base kernal is much better developed and programmed that windows kernals. Even Mac OS X is better then windows since its a Mac/BSD hybrid OS. If Linux doesnt run your games just get WinE It will run most windows games. Linux also gives you more control over your computer then windows.

nickolay
11-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Bullshit, Bullshit, and bullshit.

What evidence do you have to support the inferiority of the most recent NT kernel in comparison to the linux kernel? Do you seriously believe that wine runs "most" windows games, when it can't even start visual studio? And just how is Mac OSX "better" than windows?

Fish Beans
11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Wine does a very shitty job of windows emulation. It effectively doubles system requirements, meaning that if you want to play any game newer than 2 years old, you're gonna need a windows boot option. Also, the speed of the distro varies greatly. I had a redhat system that was slower than 98 booting off the same box.

Cedrios
11-12-2004, 04:44 PM
You guys realize AOL owns Redhat now, right?

llafnwod
11-12-2004, 06:50 PM
You guys realize AOL owns Redhat now, right? Which is why is use Mandrake.