PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of life?

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 09:46 AM
A rather broad, very broad subject. I would just like to hear your views. When I get home later, I'll post my views.

Akazukin
11-16-2005, 09:49 AM
You wont tell your family members to buy a car or to sell a house when you're about to die. You will say 'take care of mum for me, my brother'. Thus, life is about loving one another (primary) and fighting for archivements (secondary).

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I said life, not death.

Andover[yT]
11-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I said life, not death.

Death is related to life , since life is a cycle which goes: Birth-Childhood-Teenage-Adulthood-Elderly-Death

where you can also die anywhere in that cycle.

in trying to understand life , one must also understand death and know that one day you will be dead. It is all determined by how you live your life.

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I agree that death is a natural part of life, and that it is inevitable, and cannot be stopped. I was just looking for answers for people opinion's on what they think the meaning of their living cycle is. Not the utter and complete cycle.

Andover[yT]
11-16-2005, 10:07 AM
a persons thought on the meaning can depend on how your life is going and religion is a huge determinate since , for instance, budism believes that you are re-encarnated as a new animal depending on how kind you were in life. Wereas Christianity believes you do work on earth and worship God so that you can live in Heaven or Burn in hell depending on your behavior.

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 10:11 AM
I know nothing of religions except my own. Protistant.

Titan
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Funny you'd mention this topic! I was just reading about this the other day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life has a bunch of views on this topic. Here's the briefing:

The question "What is the meaning of life?" means different things to different people. The vagueness of the query is inherent in the word "meaning", which opens the question to many interpretations, such as: "What is the origin of life?", "What is the nature of life (and of the universe in which we live)?", "What is the significance of life?", "What is valuable in life?", and "What is the purpose of, or in, (one's) life?". These questions have resulted in a wide range of competing answers and arguments, from scientific theories, to philosophical, theological, and spiritual explanations.

Then here's a bullet point of the popular beliefs:

- to survive, including the pursuit of immortality through scientific means (see life extension)
- to reproduce
- to naturally evolve, or contribute to the gene pool of the human race
- to seek happiness or flourish
- to enjoy life to the fullest, or celebrate
- to follow our dreams, acquire a sense of achievement, or fulfill our destinies
- to gain and exercise power
- to compete, or co-operate, with others
- to accumulate wealth
- to leave a legacy, such as work to be remembered for
- to serve others or do good deeds
- to experience pleasure
- to give and receive love
- to seek and find beauty
- to express compassion
- to work for justice and democracy
- to live in peace with each other
- to live in harmony with our natural environment
- to search for truth, knowledge, understanding, or wisdom
- to relate, connect, or achieve unity with others
- to seek freedom, either physically, mentally, financially, or spiritually
- to serve, or worship, God
- to achieve union with God or the Divine
- to become God, or God-like
- to live until you die; there is no universal or celestial purpose, existence has no meaning beyond which an individual chooses to give it
- to seek and acquire virtue, to live a virtuous life
- to learn a series of lessons and find enlightenment
some combination of the above

Check out the wikipedia link for a bunch of interesting theories.

As I see it, the meaning of life for an individual seems to be shaped by his upbringing. If you're raised in a religious home with religious values instilled upon you, you'll probably look at the meaning of life as a time to serve God and help others. If you're a power fanatic who has been taught to do whatever possible to get ahead of others, then probably your only goal in life is to achieve that power. If you have no education whatsoever, you probably don't grasp anything outside of survival, reproduction, and pleasure.

Always a fun topic, I hope some people here have good ideas to contribute. :)

hba
11-16-2005, 11:01 AM
You live to die. Aside from that, "meaning" of ones life is determined by the one living. Their decisions and actions help to form what may seem to be that persons function, their "place" in the world.

banana_sam
11-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I find it absurd to believe that the purpose of life is death. Why would you create something with the sole goal of having it destroy itself?

I personally believe that life has no predetermined meaning, but rather is difined by what you do with it. If all you can contribute to the world is your death, then you obviously haven't used the gift of life wisely.

hba
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I find it absurd to believe that the purpose of life is death. Why would you create something with the sole goal of having it destroy itself?

I personally believe that life has no predetermined meaning, but rather is difined by what you do with it. If all you can contribute to the world is your death, then you obviously haven't used the gift of life wisely.
You don't create life with the intention of death, as death is ideally decades away from birth. Perhaps if anything, life's purpose is to evade death. Although inevitible, you lose out more by living shorter.

banana_sam
11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
That's possible, but it all brings us back to the same point -- that the purpose of life is to live it.

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 12:19 PM
The purpose of life is to live, and then die. Everything has an end, no matter what it is. But does that mean that God just sent us here to be doomed?

Training-Name
11-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry about this double post, but I forgot to say this, and seeing as I can't edit...

What would the point of immortality be? You would have to die at some point. It sounds weird, but you really would. Anyways, even if it were possible to live forever, what would be the point?

Andover[yT]
11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Ok , I wont do anything about it since you apologized.

You should be able to edit your own posts. If you are still unable to, please talk with a BWH Admin or Super Mod and they will figure it out.

-Andover[yT]
ICG Moderation

llafnwod
11-16-2005, 03:23 PM
']Death is related to life , since life is a cycle which goes: Birth-Childhood-Teenage-Adulthood-Elderly-Death

where you can also die anywhere in that cycle.Wow, awesome, now explain how the **** that makes a cycle.

gamepin126
11-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Sex. Drugs. And Rock n' Roll.

Ikji
11-16-2005, 04:19 PM
The meaning of life is to reproduce to keep our species alive, that is why we have reproductive organs and that is what we see in nature of the basis of life being. Keep in mind that we are still animals like everything else - just a little more advanced.

magikmonky
11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Sex. Drugs. And Rock n' Roll.
Amen.

llafnwod
11-16-2005, 07:30 PM
The meaning of life is to reproduce to keep our species alive, that is why we have reproductive organs and that is what we see in nature of the basis of life being. Keep in mind that we are still animals like everything else - just a little more advanced.A little? I hate people who think humans are a degree higher than animals, but the brain and the ability to manipulate our surroundings so that even the weakest members of the species can survive is something no other animal can even approach.

banana_sam
11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
']Ok , I wont do anything about it since you apologized.

You should be able to edit your own posts. If you are still unable to, please talk with a BWH Admin or Super Mod and they will figure it out.

-Andover[yT]
ICG ModerationI saw a Super Mod once.

llafnwod
11-16-2005, 07:50 PM
I saw a Super Mod once.That was LCS, dt was experimenting with usergroups.

Ikji
11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
A little? I hate people who think humans are a degree higher than animals, but the brain and the ability to manipulate our surroundings so that even the weakest members of the species can survive is something no other animal can even approach.
I said we are still animals, I was just stating that we are the most advanced animal though. Animals have problem solving skills, it has been proven in studies, but they are not as advanced as ours.

llafnwod
11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I said we are still animals, I was just stating that we are the most advanced animal though. Animals have problem solving skills, it has been proven in studies, but they are not as advanced as ours.Of course they have problem solving skills, but humans are unique in that rather than adapting themselves to the environment, they adapt the environment to themselves.

Ikji
11-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Of course they have problem solving skills, but humans are unique in that rather than adapting themselves to the environment, they adapt the environment to themselves.
We still adapt ourselves to the environment - we do both. By adapting the environment to themselves do you mean building?

llafnwod
11-16-2005, 08:21 PM
We still adapt ourselves to the environment - we do both. By adapting the environment to themselves do you mean building?Yes, and using natural resources to create synthetic materials.

Ikji
11-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Yes, and using natural resources to create synthetic materials.
Well beavers build dams, birds build nests, ants make tunnels, and the list goes on. <- Building part of it.

Titan
11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Way to go off topic!

Andover[yT]
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
please get this thread on topic or it will be locked.

IversonAli3
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
That was LCS, dt was experimenting with usergroups.
dt made all the mods into Super Moderators so he wouldnt have to grant access to every single forum by hand.

Back on track, as stated before the purpose of life is to have children and a family, and do what it takes to prepare your children for the outside world before you die.

hba
11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow, awesome, now explain how the **** that makes a cycle.
Isn't a cycle something that is continuous and doesn't have a sudden hault before re-occuring again like it should.

llafnwod
11-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Isn't a cycle something that is continuous and doesn't have a sudden hault before re-occuring again like it should.He described a one-way road. Life blah blah blah death. That's not a ****ing cycle. He has yet to respond.

han_han
11-18-2005, 09:05 PM
The MEANING of life is to be alive. If you want to go into specifics, not dead or dormant. If you are not dead or dormant, you are alive therefore being a form of life.

llafnwod
11-18-2005, 09:09 PM
The MEANING of life is to be alive. If you want to go into specifics, not dead or dormant. If you are not dead or dormant, you are alive therefore being a form of life.Wow, so 'a' is not only the same as 'a', but also the opposite of the opposite of 'a'! Lord of logic are ye!

hba
11-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Take down howard's quote and put his there. :lol:

Jax
11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
hmmm... obviosly none of you guys saw the movie "Monty Python's: The Meaning of Life"... It clearly represents the answer to the question "what is the meaning of life" 8)

but really now, joking aside. The only real possible answer to that question from ANYONE would have to be answered on a personal level. Because it is, in fact, a personal question. Therefore there are only personal answers to such a hghly controversial question.

SatansMessiah
11-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Sex. End of story. We live to reproduce. We are here to have sex as many times as we can to keep our race alive. The meaning of life is sex.

Akazukin
11-30-2005, 04:51 AM
MissJackie said life is a personal question, but why do people die for their country, for others? IversonAli3 said we live to prepare the next generation, but why do some people build a strong career and has no children?

Imagine there is no work, no mother earth, no sex. Put all contributions as a lifeform aside. Imagine you're alone in this big, black and empty vaccum. Why is it that you're alive? What is the true meaning of life? Wont it be meaningless, when you can do nothing?

Thus, life is about what you can contribute. How good you can contribute determines how good your life is. You can tell a joke to 10 girls today, you can try setup a bubble tea store in the US without any competitors. What are you waiting for?

Lastly, life is about loving one another (primary) and fighting for archivements (secondary).

Jax
11-30-2005, 01:37 PM
MissJackie said life is a personal question, but why do people die for their country, for others? IversonAli3 said we live to prepare the next generation, but why do some people build a strong career and has no children?

Imagine there is no work, no mother earth, no sex. Put all contributions as a lifeform aside. Imagine you're alone in this big, black and empty vaccum. Why is it that you're alive? What is the true meaning of life? Wont it be meaningless, when you can do nothing?

Thus, life is about what you can contribute. How good you can contribute determines how good your life is. You can tell a joke to 10 girls today, you can try setup a bubble tea store in the US without any competitors. What are you waiting for?

Lastly, life is about loving one another (primary) and fighting for archivements (secondary).

thats a very good to put it in perspective :) propsto u aka :P

ParadiseFaust
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Life is the square root of death...

Seriously, think about it for a minute.

HARD_ON
03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
The meaning of life is at your own desision. In other words: Life is whatever you want to make of it. If you want to wonder about life just craving to know what the main perpose is, go right ahead. (not recommended) Or you can make the best of it and make it worth living; make a difference in the world. (recommended)

ParadiseFaust
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Or you can listen to what I said, Life is the square root of death.